Standardized Testing

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Taramisu

Standardized Testing

Post by Taramisu » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:44 pm

Hi,

I'm in MN, so starting in 2nd grade, my kids will have to be tested (scores are not sent in, but if child scores 30% or below, further testing for learning disabilities is required). I have been reading about the more common tests, and I'm leaning towards either the Iowa Basics test or the CAT. I want to administer the test at home. The Iowa Basics test seems to be recommended as the middle of the road as far as difficulty, but I noticed it includes science and social studies, whereas the CAT doesn't. Knowing the HOD is a a little more laid back with science (at least it seems from the Kindergarten manual and reviews I've read on the early grades), I'm thinking my kids may score lower on those portions. I'm wondering what other HOD-ers have used and what they thought? My son has some mild learning/processing issues, so I'm a bit nervous about having to have him tested each year...I think the timed sections may be an issue. Which tests do you recommend and why (esp between CAT and Iowa Basic)? I really dislike standardized tests and hate that we are required to do them, especially coming from a Charlotte Mason philosophy, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Thanks,
Tara

countrymom

Re: Standardized Testing

Post by countrymom » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:34 pm

I have only used the Iowa skills test so can't really compare tests. I just wanted to say I tested one of our boys at the end of 3rd grade and the other at the beginning of 2nd grade (both use HOD exclusively) and they both scored in the 98th percentile in science so I wouldn't worry about that. I understand your nervousness about standardized testing. Our son is dyslexic and parts of the test really don't go well for him. I am going to stick to Iowa this spring because I am familiar with it. Maybe others can chime in on other tests. I just don't think you need to eliminate Iowa because of science.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

chillin'inandover

Post by chillin'inandover » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:45 pm

Tara,
I live in MN and have had my kiddos do their state required standardized testing since homeschooling my oldest in 2000. I've used the CAT and the CAT survey (which is shorter with only 20 questions per section vs 50 questions). In the younger grades, and especially for the first time, I prefer the survey since it doesn't take as long, nor is it as mentally taxing. Administering the test at home has made them comfortable with test taking so that eventually they were comfortable taking other tests, like ACT and SAT.
My kiddos have always preformed well. I have had learning challenged kiddos. My 2 youngest have only used HOD. They have done exceptionally well in science and social studies. I've been pleased with HOD science that has created true scientist, and is not light. HOD has prepared them in language arts and reading. I've used the same company for 17 years. I've tested at home and the timed test has not been an issue.
Tammy
Wife of 32 years
Mom to 4
DD 29 Technical Manager FA, Playwright, Producer, Lighting Designer
DD 28 Master in TESL, Lead ELL teacher 3rd grade
DD 19 AAS welding
DD 16 , WH
Home Educator since 2000 HOD LHTH-US2

Taramisu

Post by Taramisu » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:09 pm

Thank you both. Good to hear about the science. I was looking into the 1970 version of the CAT test on Christian Liberty's site... is that the same as the survey? I've also heard good things about the PASS test, but not sure it would be accepted in my district. I just don't love the idea of timed testing since my son takes awhile to process things and I don't think he does well under pressure like that. Has anyone used the PASS test?

Taramisu

Post by Taramisu » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:13 pm

Oh, I just looked the survey up and it looks like it's been replaced with the Terra Nova/CAT 6. I wonder how the 1970 CAT version compares.

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:48 am

Tara,

The ladies are doing such a great job of helping you talk through your options for testing. I thought I'd just chime in too. :D

For our older boys, we did the Iowa Basics Skills Test for many years. We did do all the portions, and I tested my boys yearly simply because I wanted to be sure we were covering all of our bases. Our boys did outstanding on the tests in all areas including science and social studies.

By the time we had four boys in school needing testing, due to time constraints and multiple kiddos to test, I switched to the CAT test. We did it through Seton. We also switched to the CAT Core Battery/Survey Edition to make the testing even shorter. My boys did very well on the CAT Survey also ending up in the 98th-99th percentile with the older boys having very similar scores to those they had gotten on the Iowa Basics Skills Test. I was thrilled with the shorter test time!

In comparing the two tests, I would say that the CAT Survey is much shorter time-wise to give to your child. This means it also has fewer questions. With fewer questions, each question a child misses has a greater impact on his/her score. The CAT Core Battery/Survey only focuses on the core areas of reading-related skills, language arts/grammar, and math. It does include grammar parts of speech, where the Iowa Basics Skills does not specifically include parts of speech. At the younger levels, specifically grades 2 and 4, the CAT Survey doesn't seem to be written in as grade-specific a way, making the test questions seem all over the map as far as level of difficulty goes. This may have been corrected in the new Terra Nova 2/CAT 6. At the upper levels of the CAT Survey, this is less of a problem and the test seems to level out. The CAT does not require any credentials by the instructor in order to administer. :D I have not given the new Terra Nova 2/CAT 6.

The Iowa Basics Skills Test definitely takes longer to complete and includes many more questions. This can be a good thing though, as each question the child misses has less of a negative impact on his/her overall score. The Iowa test is more grade specific, making the questions feel more grade appropriate. There are also more questions for each subject areas tested giving a better overall picture of the child's performance. I felt the Iowa Test gave me a better picture of where my kiddos were at in each area. The Iowa Basic Skills Test requires you to be approved as a tester in order to give the test. Proof of a bachelor's degree is required, and you can be approved as a tester through BJU or through Seton and also order the test through them too. You can see a comparison of the various tests here (if you click on the tab that says "Standardized Test Comparison Chart"): http://www.setontesting.com/testing-products/

One thing you could consider would be to give only the reading-related, language, and math portions of the Iowa Test. This would help lessen the time required to test and would work if your state does not require all portions to be given. Our state has now moved toward only requiring the reading, language, and math portions. Math computation has also typically been an optional part of the Iowa Test as well. Usually there is a sticker on that portion of the test identifying it as optional. I found the timed math computation part of the test was the only timed test that stressed my boys out. So, we later omitted it since it was optional. The rest of the test seemed just fine. The research section of the Iowa Test used to be labeled as optional too. :D Grades K-2 of the Iowa Tests are untimed, which is wonderful for those little ones! Otherwise, you could consider giving the old CAT or the new Terra Nova 2/CAT6 doing either the Complete Battery or the Survey. A test comparison chart is here: http://www.setontesting.com/pdf/TerraNova.pdf

Either test will work. We typically test over multiple days at our house, doing only 2 tests in one sitting (or 3 shorter ones). With the CAT Survey test we only did one test session each day. When we did the CAT longer battery or the Iowa Test we sometimes did two testing sessions a day - one in the morning and one in the afternoon.

We give the test after the boys are well-rested and fed. We take a brief break in between the tests to go to the restroom and have a drink of water. We make sure it is quiet while we are testing. We pray before we test and try to give the test in a well-lighted, calmer area of our home. I set the timer, but I place it on a counter or on an area further away from where they are working rather than placing a timer right on the table in front of them that they are constantly seeing. They can definitely refer to the timer, and I warn them at the halfway mark of the time, and again as we get closer to the time being up; but we try not to make the time their focus. It is wise to pay attention to see that your child has not skipped filling in a bubble or has not filled in two bubbles on the same line as they take the test, as this can make the child be off one line all the way through the test. We were told to circulate and watch for this in the public school classroom as well as this is very traumatizing to children. I think your child will do just fine! :D Testing at home is a friendlier environment than testing at school!

Blessings,
Carrie

Taramisu

Post by Taramisu » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:33 pm

Carrie, thank you for your helpful reply! Do you know how I would figure out what exactly is required for testing where I live? I have read things about MN in general, but it seems that it depends on the district. Do you have an idea of the person or dept. I should contact to ask which tests they will accept?

Also, for the Iowa test at the youngest levels, do you read questions for the child or do they do it all on their own? Can you explain anything to them or is it completely hands-off in that sense? I'm just a little concerned for my son who needs things explained in many ways to understand what a question is asking (although he's very smart- he learns a little differently).

Have you heard about the PASS test? Looks like it starts in 3rd grade, so I guess we couldn't use it the first year anyway (or would we? I'm not sure how you know which grade to choose if you take it at the end of 2nd grade).

Thanks again,
Tara

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:57 pm

Tara,

Typically the Iowa and the CAT are accepted almost everywhere. The PASS test is not as recognized and may not be as readily accepted. Most states just require standardized testing from recognized tests like the Iowa, CAT, and the Stanford but often do not require a particular test. For example, our school district gives the Stanford, but I have never given that test to my own boys. You could check with the Minnesota state department of education for what is required by your state. This link shows what is required in Minnesota (and you can click on testing to see more): http://education.state.mn.us/MDE/fam/nphs/home/003864

It appears that Minnesota favors the Iowa or the Stanford test. :D

If I remember correctly the Iowa test is read to the student in the younger grade levels K-2. The CAT Survey is not read to the student at the second grade level on up making it harder if the student is not reading well. The teacher is not to explain things to the student during the test but is there to administer the test. There are examples at the beginning of each section to go over with the student to make sure the student understands what to do on each part prior to beginning each new section of the test. :D

Blessings,
Carrie

Taramisu

Post by Taramisu » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:58 pm

Thank you, Carrie! That is very helpful.

Tara

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:58 am

Tara,

I realized I had accidentally posted the same link to Seton twice in my earlier post. I have corrected that now, so if you scroll back several posts you will be able to see a very helpful chart link comparing the various tests! :D

Blessings,
Carrie