High School Math Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jhperry

High School Math Question

Post by jhperry » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:02 am

My oldest is finishing up 8th grade and doing VideoText Algebra. He is almost done with Module C now, so I expect him to complete the rest of the curriculum in 9th grade. He has done well with the program and I'm considering using the Geometry Modules but curious as to other options. My question is what the math plan for 10th - 12th would look like if we chose to not do VideoText Geometry. Would he do Geometry: A Guided Inquiry in 10th and then be ready for Foerster's PreCal with Trig in 11th? And then what would be our options for 12th...Calculus? Other?

Thanks for your help!
Jamie
*Mom to Ds 14, Dd 12, Dd 10, and Ds 5
*Enjoyed LHFHG, BLHFHG, Bigger, Preparing, DITHOR, CTC, RtoR, Rev2Rev & MTMM

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: High School Math Question

Post by Carrie » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:15 pm

Jamie,

Yes, you are right! :D If you did Geometry: A Guided Inquiry, then you would move into Foerster's Pre-Calculus next. Foerster's Pre-Calculus may be a bit of a step up after VideoText Algebra, as Foerster's Algebra II and Trigonometry is quite meaty and rigorous. So, you would definitely want the Math Without Borders flash drive lessons, schedule of assigned problems, and solution's manual to use with Foerster's Pre-Calculus!

Then, for your son's senior year, you could consider either doing Foerster's Calculus or doing College Algebra through www.mathhelp.com. Either option would work. :D

If VideoText is working well for your son, you may simply want to continue on that path. One thing to be aware of though is that the final modules of the Geometry/Trigonometry/Pre-Calculus for VideoText are not available yet. So, you will want to be sure that they will be done if you want to go all the way through Pre-Calculus.

Blessings,
Carrie