Physical Education in HOD?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Taramisu

Physical Education in HOD?

Post by Taramisu » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:54 am

Hi,

My son is in LHFHG this year, so I'm just thinking ahead here, but I'm wondering if HOD's curricula include P.E. somehow? If not, are there recommendations for what to do in all levels? I know many homeschoolers make use of the community sports and such, but I'm wondering if there is something else that would be more well-rounded (teaching the rules of most sports, health, etc.). When I was homeschooled, we went once a week to a "homeschool gym" class, but we don't have that option where we are now. For some reason the co-ops around us don't include p.e. I looked at Family Time Fitness online which looks good, but I wanted to make sure I checked out HOD's recommendations (or make sure it's not scheduled in somehow) first.

Thanks!
Tara

daybreaking

Re: Physical Education in HOD?

Post by daybreaking » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:03 am

Here's one post that might be helpful. I know there's a similar one by Julie that was very good, but I am not finding it right now. :(

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17219&p=120044&hili ... ie#p120044

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:07 am

There is a half credit of health in the high school World History guide. So the only thing missing is the actual physical education. Some easy options are bowling, tennis, hiking, and cycling. Swimming and running are pretty good options for PE is your child is not interested in organized sports. The key is to make sure you do enough exercise to get a credit, which I think is 120 hours?
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Taramisu

Post by Taramisu » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:10 am

Thanks. I guess, because I really didn't learn the rules to most sports or participate in any, I missed out on a lot of opportunities, and I don't know how to teach those things to my kids now. That's why I'm wondering if there are any structured or scripted P.E. lessons included in HOD. If not, I may have to purchase some sort of a program, as I really have no clue about most things I should probably be teaching them. They definitely do not have sports genes in them :wink: and I'd love for them to be able to join in on a game with others in the future without feeling lost. P.E. is just an area I am not comfortable "winging" if you know what I mean :lol:

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:39 am

See if there are any homeschool PE classes in your area
Here, or YMCAs offer classes as well as a few community centers. I know some co-ops have also offered PE. They don't always cover many sports, but some do. And they are normally affordable, which is a huge plus.
Mom to

Taramisu

Post by Taramisu » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:50 am

Yeah, the co-ops around here don't offer it, which is why I'm asking. I will see about the Y, but do you need to belong in order to take classes there?

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:53 am

Our Y didn't charge anything different for members vs non members.
Mom to