Another Question - LHFHG - Italic?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
HSMom

Another Question - LHFHG - Italic?

Post by HSMom » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:48 pm

Okay, so I'm really new to this and am confused by the italic option for the handwriting choice. I did a quick search and understand the difference between italic and traditional cursive, but do you teach your child italic instead of print or along side print? It seems confusing for the child either way. :? If I choose to go the print route, will I be able to introduce italic later? What the benefits of doing one versus the other?

Thanks! Sorry to have so many questions!! :oops:
~Christina
dd ('11) - LHFHG '17/'18
ds ('14)
dd ('16)

StephanieU

Re: Another Question - LHFHG - Italic?

Post by StephanieU » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:30 pm

There is italic print and standard print. If you Google Getty-Dubay alphabet, you will see samples of that "font." It is slightly different than the font used for A Reason for Handwriting. If you plan on going into italic cursive, then normally you want to do italic print.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Rice

Post by Rice » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:28 pm

Italic manuscript and "standard" manuscript are just 2 different fonts. You would choose to give instruction only in one (unless you have a very interested/artistic child and choose to do the other more as "art"/calligraphy, almost. ;) ).

I chose my manuscript (and cursive) instruction options based on what I was comfortable reproducing myself; what I was familiar with.

Do you print/write in a script closer to what's offered in A Reason for Handwriting and Cheerful Cursive (see Bigger for cursive options), or is your handwriting closer to the Italics print and cursive?

The reason I chose what is closest/easiest for me is that there are times when my kids need a model - "Mom, how do you write ___?" If I have to go check a book somewhere or page we've posted on the wall, I find that cumbersome and I'm likely either to be annoyed by the question :oops: or to give them a model of what I remember (which may or may not be accurate for what they're learning/have learned in their book). If the font they learn is close to my own handwriting then it is much quicker to give them a model, plus, they'll find it easier to read my writing in the long run.

I personally don't see a reason to teach both, nor to switch from one style to the other. I suggest you plan your manuscript choice now in view of your cursive choice for Bigger, as well.

It's totally a personal choice which you pick; no right or wrong choice. :) (In fact, I believe there are regional variations as to which is more common in certain places compared to others - I never heard of Italics until I started homeschooling.)
Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

HSMom

Post by HSMom » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:11 pm

Thank you (again), Rice & StephanieU! You ladies have been invaluable! After both your posts I understand better now. StephanieU - ah ha! I was missing that there was italic print as well as italic cursive. :P Rice - I do not like my handwriting at all and I pretty much never write cursive because it's so sloppy. I think I'm going to go with the Italic choice and maybe take the opportunity to learn it for myself... if this old dog can learn new tricks! :shock: :D
~Christina
dd ('11) - LHFHG '17/'18
ds ('14)
dd ('16)

Taramisu

Post by Taramisu » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:46 pm

Hi there! I will chime in here as I have a son in LHFHG and we are going the Italic route. I chose this method because I was taught it when I was home schooled, and I love the transition from the basic italic print to the cursive italic (it is pretty seamless). All my life I was complimented on my handwriting, because it was so neat and easy to read. Now I'm teaching my son, starting with basic italic, which is supposed to be easier for them as it forms letters with natural hand/wrist movements. My son is doing okay so far (he never did any writing before this year, so it's a little slow-going), but it is a little bit of a struggle just because of the minimal practice on each page (and it's only scheduled in every 3 days or so in the guide). So, we bought the "blackline cds" that have more practice sheets you can print out, and we started doing more practice each day. Just thought I'd mention it in case you find this a problem, too. Hope this helps! :)

Tara

kt7673

Post by kt7673 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:02 pm

If you are interested in learning Italic Print and Cursive yourself, there is an adult book that teaches it. I have been able to learn quite a bit from it and the kids love when Mama does her "handwriting" at the same time as them. Here is the link to it http://www.handwritingsuccess.com/write-now.php
DS10 and DS 9 Preparing
DD 7 LHFHG.
DD2 and DS 8 months playing!

Have used LHFHG and LHTH.

HSMom

Post by HSMom » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:08 am

Thanks everyone for the replies! That progam sounds great, dt7673. I'm thinking now that I might need to stick with ARFH because the MDO my kids attend teaches this method. My dd has already been exposed to it and all my subsequent children will be as well. My ds is left handed so I can see him having a hard time switching from the ball and stick method to the italic method, though I really would prefer to use the italic method. From other posts I've read it seems some kids switch back and forth easily while others don't. So I'm once again unsure which direction to go!! There are so many choices to be made and while I know they aren't, each one feels so important!!
~Christina
dd ('11) - LHFHG '17/'18
ds ('14)
dd ('16)