Carrie's opinion on combining AH1 & AH2

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
hutchmom

Carrie's opinion on combining AH1 & AH2

Post by hutchmom » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:50 pm

Good evening.
My DS is currently doing WH, and while contemplating his next year, I'm wondering if it's possible to combine the AH1 and AH2 history portion?
Our state only requires (1) yr of American History and while I'm sure the material is worth spending multiple years on, my son is anticipating a lighter course load his senior year to pursue other interests.
If this is inadvisable, do you have any other suggestion?

Blessings!
Elizabeth H

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Carrie's opinion on combining AH1 & AH2

Post by Carrie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:52 pm

Elizabeth,

Many states require only 1 year of American History. Often that year of history does not even have to cover all of American History, making it fine from the state's perspective to cover only a portion of American History as both the US1 and USII guides do. This means that it would be fine to use either US1 or USII to fulfill your state requirements. College requirements are often more rigorous than state requirements, so you may wish to check the requirements for any colleges your son may be considering before making any decisions. :D

If your son is doing World History, I would be inclined to suggest he go into US1 next. This will give him needed credits in Government and in American Literature, along with the required credit he needs in American History. It would also give him the needed Chemistry credit and allow him to continue along the foreign language path. In addition, he would be able to complete the New Testament Survey for Bible (after doing the Old Testament Survey in World History). :D

This choice would also leave your options open for his senior year when he gets there. Much can change between a student's junior and senior year. The USII guide has 1/2 less of a credit (with 6 1/2 possible credits) than the USI guide (with 7 possible credits). This makes the USII guide less time consuming than USI. The science is also lighter in USII with its astronomy/geology/paleontology focus instead of the more math-based Chemisty in US1.

I wouldn't advise trying to combine USI and USII for history as it would be way too heavy both in volume and required output. You would also lose the connections by pushing through too much material too quickly.

I will share that my oldest son is truly enjoying USII for his senior year. Since by the time they reach their senior year students (who have come up through HOD) have honed their reading, writing, critical thinking, and independent work skills, the senior year feels easier overall than previous years. It is a time of reaping what has been sown. :D

At HOD, we choose to front-load a student's credits the first three years of high school to be sure students are earning needed credits right from the beginning. This helps make the senior year less stressful and more enjoyable. :D

From a personal standpoint, I would hesitate to miss the USII guide if at all possible, simply because there is such wonderful training for life in the Economics and Finance options, along with the apologetics course for Bible and the speech course. The books in the literature study are not to be missed in my opinion, and the history part of the course is so helpful in understanding the times we live in today. The science course may be a student's last opportunity to know how to refute science that does not align with God's Word. Simply being able to logically explain the creation-based perspective as adults when they visit museums, national parks, and planetariums makes doing the Astronomy/Geology/Paleontology course worthwhile!

I pray this will help as you ponder your options! It is exciting to see students grow and mature. Congratulations on the hard work that has led to this point with your son!! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

hutchmom

Re: Carrie's opinion on combining AH1 & AH2

Post by hutchmom » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:03 pm

This truly is an encouragement Carrie! I've felt at peace going forward with AH1, and even AH2.
I agree that my son's senior year will most likely "feel" lighter compared to the WG, WH and then AH1 years he will have completed.
I'll be sure to communicate this to him as well :D

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to address this issue, and hope others can benefit from it as well!

Blessings,
Elizabeth