Placing Children New to HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
HawaiianMoon4

Placing Children New to HOD

Post by HawaiianMoon4 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:46 pm

I have been deeply researching HOD and feel strongly that our family should start HOD next year. I am struggling with the placement of my children, however, and could use some advice from seasoned HOD users. We have four children who will be 10.5, barely 8, barely 6, and 2.5 years old at the start of next school year. I was just reading Carrie's recent post about common questions about HOD and it literally brought me to tears because my oldest child is very advanced and has been easy to instruct, however, my second child has a drastically different learning style and I've struggled to find ways to teach her. I think we are finally making progress this year, however, with many hands-on activities. It hit me reading Carrie's post that I might have been inadvertently focusing on my older child and feel I've not given my younger two the level of instruction they deserve. :cry:

My oldest son will be considered 5th grade next year and is very advanced, quick to catch on, and independent. He is motivated and likes to do things himself. He likes to read and write. I am considering starting him with CtoC but am concerned it won't be challenging enough for him. He will be on the older side of the program and the programs we already use are advanced. I don't want to overwhelm him, however, and want him to feel successful. That being said, I considered adding the extension pack in case it is too easy for him but the notes say they should be for 6th and 7th graders. He is doing Apologia Zoology 1 this year and enjoys it, and he's already done much of the Apologia Astronomy, so I thought doing Zoology 3 in CtoC might keep his interest. I'm just nervous to accidentally downgrade him as I've already struggled with that while switching math curriculum and now have catching up to do.

My daughter will turn 8 in September and will be considered 2nd grade. We struggled with finding a reading program that worked for her, so she is just now starting to see real progress and try to read little beginner books. She tried to read some of her worksheets without me yesterday and was very proud of herself. We will start spelling with a very hands-on program this week. She can't sit still at all during instruction and even does her reading flipping around and contorting in odd positions. She know how to write all her letters and numbers in print but tends to rush quickly through her handwriting, so we still have some work to do. I'm not sure if we should begin cursive next year or if it would be a welcome change? She spends her free time making little books with paper and even adding cutouts that move. It doesn't look as though HOD has lapbook options, but I'm wondering if they would help her retain what she's learning. I was considering Beyond for her next year but wonder if I should go for Bigger? She will probably make a lot of progress within the next 6 months or so still.

My 5.5 year old son (will be 6 in the summer) has had little to no formal instruction so far but we are beginning an early phonics program this week. I'm really not sure how quickly he will catch on. My hands have been full with the older two and a VERY busy 2 year old. We will begin learning to write his letters as well. I'm hoping by the start of next year, he will be ready to begin reading instruction. I'm debating about starting a third program with him, LHFHG, or joining him with his sister in Beyond? He wants to learn and brings me workbooks to do. I don't want to overwhelm myself with three programs, but I also don't want to leave him behind either.

That being said, we are trying to diagnose some health problems I've been having, likely autoimmune, and my energy level does come into play in how much we are able to accomplish at the moment. We spent hundreds of dollars on a unit study program last year that we had to abandon mid-year because it took a lot of planning and preparation and it just wasn't something I could accomplish in this season. I'm sorry this is so long! I just wanted to make sure I gave a complete picture as I don't to waste time and money selecting the wrong levels. An acquaintance showed me her HOD last night and I am getting quite excited! :D
Wife to Jordan 13 years

Mom to:
DS (12.5) - Res2Ref
DD (9) - Bigger
DS (7) - LHFHG
DS (4) - tagging along with some LHTH

StephanieU

Re: Placing Children New to HOD

Post by StephanieU » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:41 pm

When do you plan on starting? If you want to start at least the middle one, I would start the 8yo in Beyond, going full speed after a week or two. This guide is perfect for second grade! It is a great guide for learning to sit and listen. Bigger has longer, slightly less engaging readings, which I don't think she is ready for based on what you said. Then I would start the one in CtC as soon you want. If you don't plan on starting until fall, then RtR might be a good option as well. CTC is great for the average 5th grader, but some advanced 5th graders fit better in RtR. And remember that with HOD, you can always customize the 3Rs to their level!
For the 5yo, I would focus on the 3Rs (math, reading, and Handwriting) until fall. Then do LHFHG for first. You could start LHFHG now, but there is no rush! And it is actually nice to have a little gap between when you finish Beyond with the middle child and when you will start it with the next one.
Last edited by StephanieU on Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

HawaiianMoon4

Post by HawaiianMoon4 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:55 pm

Thank you! We plan to start them all in HOD in the fall since we have had to switch curriculum a lot this year trying to find what will work with our 7 year old. I wonder if she might have some mild dyslexia, but she's thriving now that we've found a better match! We will need to have time to save for the new curriculum. She might have some attention differences as well, but I was diagnosed with attention problems in college and yet graduated with a 4.0 in Computer Science, so I'm not concerned about it as long as I can reach her well. If she's interested in a subject, she will listen for a good while, but it's getting that interest!
Wife to Jordan 13 years

Mom to:
DS (12.5) - Res2Ref
DD (9) - Bigger
DS (7) - LHFHG

HawaiianMoon4

Post by HawaiianMoon4 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:30 pm

I reread my post and hope I didn't sound as though I were bragging. Actually, I hoped to give hope to anyone else who has a child who has attention difficulties. :)
Wife to Jordan 13 years

Mom to:
DS (12.5) - Res2Ref
DD (9) - Bigger
DS (7) - LHFHG

mtmom9107

Post by mtmom9107 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:06 am

HawaiianMoon4 wrote:I reread my post and hope I didn't sound as though I were bragging. Actually, I hoped to give hope to anyone else who has a child who has attention difficulties. :)

I don't think you came across as bragging at all. I was actually encouraged, as you said, because your 8 year old sounds a lot like my 8 year old. I have placed her in Bigger because she reads pretty good. It's where she placed best on the placement chart in the catalog. But she can't sit still, and has a hard time paying attention. I can be reading to her and ask her what I just read and she often can't answer me. She can write well if she wants to, but most of the time it's hurried and sloppy. She struggles with math, we have switched math programs a lot trying to find a good fit. I decided to go with Singapore, HOD's recommend math. It seems like it's paced gently and I like the hands on aspect. I worry a little though as it seems like Singapore may be hard to enter mid-way. Even though I've never met Carrie, through all I've read and researched about HOD I trust her and her educational knowledge. And she's a Midwestern girl like me. :wink: We are coming from MFW Adventures. It's been a fairly good year, but I think HOD will be a better fit. I pray it is.

Then my next in line, my 6 year old is very smart and quick witted. But because oldest takes so much time I feel like my 6 year old gets the short end of the stick.

Sorry I wasn't much help as far as placement goes as I'm also new to HOD. But I hope at least hopefully you know that you're not alone.

HawaiianMoon4

Post by HawaiianMoon4 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:26 pm

I am glad we can both be an encouragement to one another! :D It sounds like we are in similar boats. My daughter also rushes her handwriting. I just tried throwing out my Bob Jones handwriting this week and doing as HOD recommends: writing a bit of her poem for her on her handwriting paper and having her copy it below my writing. It looks SO much better! I have no idea why, but it's more cost effective and easier, so win, win! I'm finding everything is an experiment to see what will reach her. She's just 180°'s from my firstborn.

And, of course, my third born seems completely different as well. He seems a bit like your 8 year old in that he doesn't seem to catch on as much to things through auditory input. I was just at a homeschooling convention not too long ago, and a speaker said I should be playing Bach into the best headphones I can buy for him 20 min a day. The over-the-ear type. She says it helps to strengthen the auditory processing. I'm certainly willing to give it a try! :)

We've also switched maths often. We've tried three now. I think we've found a good fit for both kids finally, and again, they are opposites. One thrives on spiral and one can't stand it. I'm learning SO much with them! I'll pray we both have successful and blessed first years with HOD.
Wife to Jordan 13 years

Mom to:
DS (12.5) - Res2Ref
DD (9) - Bigger
DS (7) - LHFHG

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:06 am

I have two children who are 19 months apart, but very different in skill and ability to do school, but we have found our path in HOD. My oldest just started MTM and my younger is in Preparing, so they are 3 full guides apart despite the closeness of age. I just want to encourage you that HOD can definitely put you on solid ground.
I would stagger start them to make sure you get off to a good start. I would start the older first because he will be largely independent and if you take the first week with just him so that you both can get into a system that works, he should be fine. As for placement, use the chart and weigh the first sections the most. I guess based on what you shared I would be tempted to go with Res to Res, although since he is new to HOD there are skills he will be doing for the first time so CTC is a good recommendation with that thought. I am not sure myself for your oldest, I think I still lean towards Res to Res and you could go at a slower speed for a bit if needed.
I would definitely put your 8 yr old in Beyond. That will be a great way to get her off to a good start in HOD. Place her were she is at for reading and math and I would wait on cursive. Your 8 yr old and my youngest sound similar. :) I would start her second and do the first unit (or more if needed) at 1/2 speed. I have started many of our guides at 1/2 speed to get us on the right track and it is such a simple way to ensure success.
As for your younger, I would not put him in Beyond. I know it is tempting with the 8 yr old there, but I think you would quickly run into problems, especially as you progress through the guides. I would start him last and place him in LHFHG. I would also go 1/2 speed for awhile just to space your youngers out and make sure you get a good start with the schedule yourself. You can progress him in math and reading as he is ready, so beginning with LHFHG won't hold him up in those areas. If he really takes off at some point you could add in the Rod and Staff English the year you do Beyond with him if needed. Welcome to HOD! It has been a huge blessing for our family.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

mtmom9107

Post by mtmom9107 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:08 pm

HawaiianMoon4 wrote:
And, of course, my third born seems completely different as well. He seems a bit like your 8 year old in that he doesn't seem to catch on as much to things through auditory input. I was just at a homeschooling convention not too long ago, and a speaker said I should be playing Bach into the best headphones I can buy for him 20 min a day. The over-the-ear type. She says it helps to strengthen the auditory processing. I'm certainly willing to give it a try! :)
This is very interesting! I'm going to give it a try. Have you tried it yet? Is there a particular Bach CD you'd recommend?

HawaiianMoon4

Post by HawaiianMoon4 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:27 am

I haven't yet tried it yet as we just started summer break, and I'm hoping to have some time to watch the DVDs I bought concerning it. I'm really curious if it might help some though. I'll write back after I've tried it. She said it needs to be for 4 months daily to establish new connections in the brain... One month to develop then and another three to really establish them. It doesn't sound like it could hurt too much.
Wife to Jordan 13 years

Mom to:
DS (12.5) - Res2Ref
DD (9) - Bigger
DS (7) - LHFHG