Extension questions for Bigger

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kt7673

Extension questions for Bigger

Post by kt7673 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:03 pm

Greetings! I am presently in the brainstorming process for 2018-2019 (I plan an extra year out so I can slowly buy materials throughout the school year before). We used LHTH and LHHG for our first two years of schooling. Then I decided I liked to and wanted to piece my own curriculum together, but I am realizing that with two new kiddos I do not have the time or energy to do that anymore. I am looking at the guides and trying to figure out how best to place my kids. I would really like to stick with 2 guides for the first year. The first guide will be for Creation to Christ for my 5th grader. I think the second guide would best be Bigger. My other two children will be in 2nd and 4th grade. My 4th grader will not be ready for CtC, and so I would like to wait till he is in 5th to start him in that guide. My second grader will be right on track for Bigger. My question is "what does the extension look like?" Is it just extra reading? Or extra assignments based on the reading? If it is extra assignments, can someone give me an example of what they are like or a brief summary of the general idea of them? I am really excited to go forward with plans for HOD. Thank you!
DS10 and DS 9 Preparing
DD 7 LHFHG.
DD2 and DS 8 months playing!

Have used LHFHG and LHTH.

Rice

Re: Extension questions for Bigger

Post by Rice » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:20 pm

You've had no answer so, although I've not done the Bigger Extensions, I have assigned them for my oldest son in higher guides and do have the Bigger guide, so here goes:

~depending on the child's age and your goals for them, you can merely assign the extra readings, or you can "assess their reading comprehension in some way," it says in the Appendix.
~each unit has a reading assignment for each day, PLUS an extra science reading that can be done on any day you choose.
~if you choose to assign a comprehension assignment, the suggested ones are:
1) oral narration (suggested 2x/unit)
2) 1 paragraph summary (suggested 2x/unit)
3) a picture with captions about the reading (suggested 1x/unit)

When I required the assignments, I picked the easier HOD days to assign the written narrations (my DS had some Dysgraphia symptoms and hates writing, where someone who hated drawing might be better with that assignment on an easier HOD day). I then broke the other assignments up so the same ones weren't back to back, although that's probably less important.
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics