Placement help

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Lindykay99

Placement help

Post by Lindykay99 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:23 pm

Hi! I tried HOD before, but do not think I placed my children correctly and it didn't go well, so I am hoping for some good advice. I have five kids ages 1,3,5,7, and 9 in February. I think my nine year old would do best in bigger and my five year old in Little Hearts. I am unsure what to do with my seven year old. He doesn't seem to be ready for the writing in Bigger. Everything else he could do. Would I run three guides? Have him join in bigger? How would that affect the future? Could I maintain running three guides? Do you have any advice? Thank you so much!!! :D

StephanieU

Re: Placement help

Post by StephanieU » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:37 pm

Three guides is doable, but running Preparing and Bigger at full suited at about the same place in the guide is not easy! These are the two most teacher intensive guides, and as a result take a good portion of your time. I would say each take at least two hours of mom time at least in the beginning. For some kids, it could be closer to three hours. So I would caution against doing three back to back guides.
When does the 7yo turn 8? What grade do you consider that Same question I would ask about the 5yo.
Also, what is the 7yo able to read independently? Maybe do Bigger full speed with the 9yo, Beyond half asked for the rest of the year with the 7yo, and LHFHG at less than half speed for the 5yo. Then when the 9yo moves to Preparing, speed up the Beyond child to full speed (doing math, reading, and some writing daily all along). When that child moves to Bigger, move the 5yo up to full speed. For the youngest two, wait until they are at least 5.5 to start LHFHG full speed. My kids start LHTH at 4.5 and LHFHG at 5.5. Then we have some grace if we need to slow down for any reason without waiting a long time to start school.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Lindykay99

Post by Lindykay99 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:55 am

Thank you StepahnieU. That gives me a lot to think about. My 5 year old just turned 5 at the beginning of August and has had little schooling. My seven year old just turned 7 in September and is somewhere in between a first and second grader. My almost 9 year old is academic and is somewhere between a third and fourth grader. Any other advice? Would it work to put my almost 9 year old in preparing at half speed? The 7 year old in Beyond and the 5 year old at half speed in Little hearts?

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:33 am

Of course, please check the placement chart first, but based on what you mentioned in your first post, I'd be inclined to recommend your 9 year old in Bigger, and both the 7 and 5 year olds combined in Little Hearts. Just do the 3 R's at each of their individual levels. I've used almost all the guides with my 5 kids over the years, and have found it immensely helpful to have them on the older end of the age range. And with more students, it's a big help to a mama to combine where you can. Blessings! :)
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:42 am

I would look at the first week of each guide and see if the oldest could do Preparing. It is the guide the average fourth grader often uses. There is more independence, some subject reading (instead of you reading all of the science and some of the history, they read it), and slightly more writing each day.
I would consider doing LHTH with the 5yo, or simply focusing on math, reading, and find motor skills. You don't want to jump into LHFHG too early. That child can listen in and do what parts of the 7yos guide he/she wants, but it isn't required. Beyond may be fine for the 7yo, assuming again you check the placement chart.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:33 am

I would place the 9 year old where he fits on the placement chart (Bigger or Preparing....my current 10 year old is doing Preparing this year and it is just right for him). Like someone else said, I would place both the 5 year old and the 7 year old together in Little Hearts. You will have to do their math and phonics/reading separately. My youngest started Little Hearts when he was 7.5 and he loved it....he is doing Beyond this year. All 3 of mine are on the older side of the age range.
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

Lindykay99

Post by Lindykay99 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:38 am

Thank you all for your help! My 9 year old is starting Bigger tomorrow and the 7 and 5 year old will begin Little Hearts soon! Thank you again!

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:41 am

I'm glad to see that's what you chose because that was my suggestion. Well, actually my suggestion was going to be Bigger for the 9yo, LHFHG for the just turned 7yo, and just the basics (math/FMS/handwriting type stuff with a bunch of fun read alouds) for the 5yo.

But remember that you know them, and if something isn't working you can change it!