Placement advice for LHFHG

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
SarahBrant

Placement advice for LHFHG

Post by SarahBrant » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:04 pm

Hi everyone. =) I'm in need of some placement advice. My ds turned 5 in May and we started LHFHG two weeks ago. He is not as ready for phonics instruction as I had thought he was. I feel like he needs more time to focus on letters and letter sounds. This time last year I had intended to do LHTH with him, but I became very sick during my 4th pregnancy. I wasn't too concerned however because my 5 year old son is extremely bright and has been participating in our HOD school days since he was 2 years old. My kids are age 8, 5, 2, and 11 months, so we've had a crazy couple of years. If I allow myself, I am struggling with feeling guilty because I thought he knew more letters and letter sounds and shapes and colors than he actually knows. I'm realizing this now as we are getting into it. He is doing well with LHFHG. I had intended to spread the 1st three guides out over 4 years (that's what I did with my 3rd grade son who is in Bigger). The only issue is, he isn't ready for TRL. It was suggested in a HOD (non-official) Facebook group that I should move him down to LHTH while still using FMS and math from LHFHG. I hesitate to do this just because he is doing well in all other areas of LHFHG. I also do not actually own LHTH, so that's another issue but I could purchase it if needed. I was thinking that I would just back off of using TRL for a bit to focus on letters and their sounds until several suggested switching to LHTH. I feel bad because I think if I had done LHTH last year, he would be more prepared this year and I hate to feel like I am holding him back in a sense. So all that said, I would love to hear your opinions. If Carrie or Julie were able to share their thoughts, I would love that. Thank you so much everyone!

SarahBrant

Re: Placement advice for LHFHG

Post by SarahBrant » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:10 pm

Wow you guys.... Looking at the first week of LHTH, I am thinking he would really enjoy it.... He is a young kindergartner.... Would still love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:30 pm

I commented on your FB post, but I think he would love LHTH! We are doing it now with my young 5yo, adding in math, phonics, and handwriting/FMS at her speed. I don't like to start LHFHG before 5.5yo. The history in the second half really picks up, and there definitely isn't a rush to get into that and the latest guides. You might find over time that you can speed up LHTH some, making it last less than a year. That definitely isn't necessary, but it is not something I would avoid of time, energy, and desire allow.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

SarahBrant

Post by SarahBrant » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:53 am

Thanks Stephanie! At this point I am thinking that may be the best option for us. I'm struggling with feeling like he won't be challenged enough, but the truth is he can and does join in with big brother. I think our days would be a little more joy-filled with this option. I do struggle with feeling like I failed him by not doing Little Hands with him last year... But the truth is I just couldn't, I was too sick and after baby was born my kids were 8, 4, 1 and brand new. Couldn't get it done. And he is a young kindergartner. Where we live, I did not have to fill out paperwork yet for him to homeschool. The age here is 6 by January and he turned 5 in May.

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:16 am

If you think he would enjoy LHTH then by all means go for it! :) The other option, since you said he's doing well in LHFHG other than phonics, is to just do LHFHG without phonics and then start them when he's ready. I don't do phonics at all, so it works without the phonics instruction.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:45 pm

I think the two of you would love Little Hands to Heaven! You can actually do LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond..., and Bigger Hearts 4 days a week, and that will naturally spread these 4 guides over 5 years. :D So, why not still enjoy that 4 day plan, only for a little longer? Maybe this is the Lord's gift to you this year, as a busy mama! HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie