online typing instructor?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
jacynamommy

online typing instructor?

Post by jacynamommy » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:30 pm

I am curious if anyone has used an online typing instructor? I believe someone told me here before of a typing program that Carrie had used with her kids, but I was wondering if anyone has used anything online that's free and worked well? Thanks!
Meredith

Trusting in Him to supply all my needs! Phil. 4:19
Mommy to:
Quinter 15 WG
Gabry 13 WG
Ainsley 12 Res to Ref
Bryn 9 Preparing
Silas 6 Beyond

PoppyD

Re: online typing instructor?

Post by PoppyD » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:20 pm

We use Typing Instructor Platinum for kids (21). You can get it on amazon for about $20. All 3 of my kids love it. (Ages 6,8,12) You set the level based on age and where they are. Lots of fun games and it seems to really work. I feel like that's a good price for 3 kids and you can continue to up the challenge so it will last quite awhile. Some friends of mine use dance mat typing - which is free online. They like it but I've never used it so can't vouch for that one. Typing instructor has online subscriptions also but I prefer a one time purchase. If you want free - maybe try out dance mat first. Hope that helps.
2016/2017 Preparing - 3rd grade daughter

funkmomma71

Post by funkmomma71 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:01 pm

Typing club is free. My daughter progressed through it and type pretty well now. I'll be starting my son soon. Here's the link: https://www.typingclub.com/
Nancy
Mommy and teacher to
Dd 12 and DS 8
Doing MTMM & Preparing 2016-2017

Rice

Post by Rice » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:14 am

Simply because it was mentioned, I'll comment on BBC's Dance Mat Typing.
Here's what I liked:
~free online
~shows hands on screen which helps discourage them from looking down at their own hands (less need)
~fun animation/catchy
Here's what I liked less:
~for older kids the animation becomes annoying fairly quickly ;)
I did make my oldest (then about 9 or 10, I think) use it till he sort of knew the keyboard and was fairly solid in the home row, then we switched to:

Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing (CD then aviailble through Cdn Scholastic for about $5)
It's still as boring/drill-based as when I was in school (early '90s). Good skills but best for someone very motivated to learn to type/self-motivated. Occasional game as a reward.
Then my kids moved to:

Typing Instructor (Platinum, I think; again, bought through Scholastic for $8 - but that was 6-8 yrs ago)
~skills are all taught through games/races (much higher appeal for kids, especially boys!)
~I would say same level of instruction as Mavis Beacon but because it's more fun, the kids learned better.
~I like that it's not online.

My suggestion now is to do BBC till they have the keyboard somewhat familiar, the home row fairly solid and learn to look at the screen, not their hands, then switch to Typing Instructor.

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics