Getting Started With Spanish

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kidsforHim

Getting Started With Spanish

Post by kidsforHim » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:58 pm

My 2 boys are using Getting Started with Spanish. How much time should be spent practicing the words? They are also listening to the commentaries and are wondering if they should be doing the exercises in the book first before they listen to them. They found today that when they listened to the commentaries for lessons 5 & 6 they were told what each spanish word was in english. Should they be doing the work first before they listen to the commentary of the lesson.
As to how much time should be spent, they are on lessons 6, having been doing 2 lessons a day and only takes them maybe 20 min or so?
Thanks,
Becky

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Getting Started With Spanish

Post by Carrie » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:11 pm

Becky,

Great questions! Your students can either do the work in the text first, and then listen to the commentary, or listen to the commentary as they go to learn how to correctly pronounce the new words. In the beginning the lessons are very short, however as the year goes on the lessons lengthen. We pray that you enjoy Getting Started with Spanish as much as our boys have! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

kidsforHim

Re: Getting Started With Spanish

Post by kidsforHim » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:24 pm

Thank you, Carrie!
Since I posted, my boys came up with this system that seems to be working well for them at this point. Just thought I'd share In case others might find it helpful.
They read the lesson from the book( they each have a book) first, then listen to the pronunciations,( they spend some time repeating the vocabulary out loud ) followed by listening to the commentary. They pause the commentary just before the exercise and DO the exercise. Then they listen to the exercise and from that they correct their work. I trust/hope there is no problem using it this way.
They are both enjoying this program, which is making me happy. I wasn't sure my oldest would even get in any foreign language but he is even more pumped about it than his brother.