Highschool Spanish

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
TAT

Highschool Spanish

Post by TAT » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:32 pm

Hi. This will be my first year teaching high school. Will the one-half credit in spanish included in World Geography be acceptable as 1 year of Spanish? My son wants to go to a college that requires 4 years of a foreign language. Also, do all 4 years need to be the same language? He wants to go into space astrophysics/engineering.

Blessings,
Theresa

StephanieU

Re: Highschool Spanish

Post by StephanieU » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:51 pm

A half credit normally means half a year. Most colleges look for two credits, so Carrie split those over all for years, a half credit each year. But the amount of work could be done in two years of you did it daily.
As for multiple languages, I have seen were it had to be one language, but in those cases it was only two credits/years and not four.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

TAT

Post by TAT » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:12 pm

Thank you, StephanieU. That is very helpful. So then my next question is, has anybody had any experience with adding additional spanish to make four years worth of curriculum?

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:27 pm

Theresa,

I would check to see whether your son's intended school requires 4 years of the same foreign language or whether it accepts 2 different foreign languages for 2 years each. :D

If you can do two different foreign languages, then it would be easy to add another foreign language at the same time you are studying Spanish for all four years, basically studying two languages each year. :D

If you need to have all the years be in one foreign language, then I would look at adding a computer type foreign language program to the foreign language study already scheduled in our guides. You could move more quickly through the computer foreign language study as the years pass while still gaining a solid study of the basics on up with the foreign language scheduled within our guides. You would just do both at the same time with one reinforcing the other.

Blessings,
Carrie