English 3 and 4 worksheets

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
txlw

English 3 and 4 worksheets

Post by txlw » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:37 pm

First time ordering HoD materials this year. Switching. I received items in and I begin reading the teacher manual for English 3. In the beginning it states that the set includes worksheets and tests for which it conveniently provides all the answers for. But I receive no worksheets or tests.

I have searched and searched the HoD site for any reference at all to worksheets or tests, cannot find anything that states why they were not included or if those were offered separately. I searched here at the forum for english 3 and for worksheets and could not find any discussions that seemed to pertain to my question.

I really wanted to have these worksheets and tests and since HoD seemingly not sell them, I had to web search elsewhere and find the same curriculum that actually does include the items. I didnt want to have to shop elsewhere just for these items. I wanted to get everything I needed in one spot.
I am disappointed.
Why would you not only not include the worksheets/tests, but also not even mention anywhere in the purchasing descriptions that they existed but were not available to buy here? I thought I had everything I needed and only now find out that there was something that can be used with this material that you did not offer.

StephanieU

Re: English 3 and 4 worksheets

Post by StephanieU » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:43 pm

The simple answer is they are not necessary at all. They actually end up being busy work most of the time. We have bought the worksheets, but we only use them to REPLACE the written exercises in the books when available. There isn't a worksheet for each lesson, and it is very random which leads do have worksheets.
The books have multiple reviews. Every five lessons is a review. And then at the end of each unit (25 lessons) there are two more reviews. We just use those as tests when I think need to do a test.
Remember that many curriculum like this (Rod and Staff) was originally designed for classroom use. There worksheets and tests are more useful. In a one on one setting of homeschool, there isn't nearly as much need for seat work.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Jennymommy

Post by Jennymommy » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:30 pm

Hi :D This link may help a bit. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16860&p=118119&hili ... ts#p118119 Carrie has put together a fabulous curriculum that should not overwhelm you or your children. If you do add to it, you may find your day out of balance, and your joy in the journey, missing. I can testify that the worksheets are not necessary...our test scores have been fantastic using the guides as written. HTH

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:40 pm

We have always skipped the worksheets and tests because my kids don't need them. I did actually buy them for level 2 and then level 3. But I never actually did them. I wanted to be done with school for the day. Plus, they seem more like busy work than anything. The R&S book does include reviews through out the chapters and you can easily see how your child is progressing from that. You really don't need them. It would be overload IMHO. I think doing the R&S 2/3 orally helps to make sure they understand the material and then I just have them write down a small portion of it is so that they can showcase what they know alone. By doing the plans they way they are written, you will be very confident that the quizzes and worksheets aren't necessarily because you will see that your kiddos totally get it and don't need the extra work.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:06 am

Our test scores have always been high with the way it's written as well - all the way through, to high school level! :D Adding the worksheets adds unnecessary time to the day and throws off the balance of how long LA should be taking within the context of appropriate time to spend on the rest of the subject areas. There are ample LA skills planned in HOD - formal writing programs for composition instruction, R & S English for grammar/concise writing instruction, DITHOR for literature instruction, CM dictation passages for spelling instruction, poetry study for creative LA application/discussion, and daily practice of CM style oral/written narrations in cross-curricular subjects. Adding worksheets to the already more than enough R & S English plans simply adds time and gives the student less time to amply focus on progress in the other LA areas of the guide. It throws off the balance and shifts time to be far too heavy on the LA side and leaves the student with a too long school day and less time to focus on other academic skills. I'd just encourage you to try it without the worksheets! Years down the road both you and your dc will be happier because you'll be able to finish R & S English strong! Rather than being burnt out and feeling like you may need to switch to something less rigorous. Hope this helps!!!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie