Tips for Preparing and RevtoRev together

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
faroutback

Tips for Preparing and RevtoRev together

Post by faroutback » Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:09 am

Does anyone have tips for using Preparing and RevtoRev at the same time when dc still need hands-on for some things? I see there is a good amount of independent work for RevtoRev and Preparing is beginning some. Ods still needs a lot of guidance with math, and sometimes Science (or possibly I like science and want to be in there, too). I am so excited about Principles of Mathematics, we will be using Book I to slow things down for him, and he likes reading, and I am hopeful this will make math more enjoyable for him. He has the ability for math and really understands the concepts but is very reluctant and gets upset about doing math. Then there is writing, DITHOR, Storytime,...I think I just have the "right before school starts overwhelms" again as I see the increase in work and books for both dc. But I have to remember Carrie always has it broken down into doable amounts for everyday and we get through it easily.

But with such a gap and each needing hands-on at different levels, I was looking for tips for helping our day flow. In the past, we sit at our table and work and Momma helps whoever has a question at the time and teaches whatever subject to whichever was ready. Last year, I began to notice we could use some separation, physically, and needed less interruption all the way around. So if there are suggestions on how to develop a schedule, basic things to look at to do this, I would greatly appreciate your insight. Things and stuff I can organize, time especially with learning, I haven't been able to get my mind around yet. Thank you.

MomtoJGJE

Re: Tips for Preparing and RevtoRev together

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:54 am

The way I always do it is to teach whatever I need to teach to the older one that they need to complete independent work first. Then they go off to complete their independent work. While they are working I teach the next one down. In your case you could get most if not all of what you need to teach Preparing done while the older one is working on their I boxes. Then the older one could come back to you and you could do anything that needs extra help (things they didn't quite understand or things you just want to be involved with) while the younger one is doing independent work. Then check the younger ones work and finish up anything that needs finishing (if there is anything) with that one.

FWIW I've always been able to finish the younger guides teaching portion while the older guides are doing independent work. It seems like it's perfectly fitted time wise.

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:34 pm

HI! Here are a few of my past schedules that may help...
Image Image

Here is a link to Carrie's past schedules that may help...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2093&p=90082

Also, here is a link to many others' schedules/routines...
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2093

Hope that helps!
In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:06 am

Faroutback - I have the same issue. My daughter is about 2/3 way through R2R and we hope to finish up in Dec/Jan and then switch over to Rev to Rev (she is 15). My older son is in Preparing this fall and my younger son is in Beyond. My daughter and older son both have learning disabilities and need lots of help (my daughter needs lots more help than a normal child in R2R) so I am not sure how we will be doing out work this fall. At least my daughter knows what she needs to do. I am so glad that they are not all switching levels at the same time!

I wish I could get them started in Aug, but I doubt that will happen as I have to finish dealing with my oldest as she will be off to college on Aug 27 or so. SO much to help her get done before that time including lots of things I need to bring her too (she has her diving test next week and I am stressing over that as well as the vehicle she is driving is our van and as of yesterday the back door will not latch....arg!!).
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

bezona

Post by bezona » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:08 am

Faroutback and Rumkimon, I'm just wondering how things are going in Rev to Rev. so far. I have a 15 dd with some LD that is just starting Rev to Rev. So far I've had to read George Washington's World, The Signers, and Hearts and Hands which she "dislikes very much". I can see where the poetry is over her head as well. I'm hoping that things will get better. Originally I had thought about using sone of the extensions, but for now that will not happen. My next option was for her to use the read alouds, but again not sure if that will happen. On a positive note my son is in Bigger and he and I both enjoy it. I've thought about having her do poetry with us, but I'm not sure how to do that efficiently.