Preparing Hearts question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Love2Learn

Preparing Hearts question

Post by Love2Learn » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:29 am

Hi, new HOD user here, mother of 4 ages 3, 5, 9, and 11. I will be using PHFHG for my olders and am ready to order but am confused about one aspect: for Language Arts, do the books contained in the Deluxe Package and/or the Extension Package (I have kiddos in both) count as their literature to use with DIHR? Otherwise, do I order one of the Book Packs or "Sample Book Ideas List" if I want to create my own book packs?

Thank you for your help for this beginning user of HOD!

Jennifer

water2wine

Re: Preparing Hearts question

Post by water2wine » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:47 am

I think I can answer this for you. :D The Basic pack adds read aloud books to the program and the Extension pack adds more for older children or younger children depending on which ones you pick to have independent reading that corresponds to the history but it is not meant to be their DITHR program it is part of the actual Preparing program. DITHR is a separate program all together for a LA reading program. You need the teachers manual for DITHR and the student book at their level then the books you either get from the library or buy in the Book Shop (on this site). The book list are more suggestions for books that Carrie has gone over for content and quality and it is worth having especially with older children but honestly it is worth having no matter what your ages are. Carrie does a wonderful job picking books and I trust that she has held my values in her selection which matters a lot to me, saves me a bunch of time.

I know it it confusing but what it really does is allow families to customize for the best fit for their children or their situation. So if money is not a huge issue for your family you would probably want the first three boxes of books (ECONOMY PACKAGE, Science Adder, BASIC PACKAGE) for most people that is the minimum course and then you look and the only question is do you want the extension packs and if so do you need both levels. These are optional but I will tell you we love the extension pack in Bigger and I can see Preparing has wonderful choices there as well. Notice in Preparing is set up different, the extension packs are on two different age or reading levels. I love that she did it. I have kids on similar ages. Some would be able to do the independent reader extension pack even though they are in 4th grade but one would not so I would have gotten both. You may be able to use just one. Carrie or someone more qualified than me could help you pick if you need help or you might easily see on your own.

I hope this makes sense and welcome to HOD. You will love the program and the board. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Preparing Hearts question

Post by Carrie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:35 pm

Jennifer,

water2wine did a wonderful job of answering your questions, so I'll just welcome you to HOD! We're glad you're here. :D

Blessings,
Carrie