Storing Old Curriculum

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
kidsforHim

Storing Old Curriculum

Post by kidsforHim » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:41 pm

I want to put away this years curriculum. What kind of plastic storage bins do you use or would work well? I want to store Res to ref. Also wanting to transfer preparing package from a box to a tote of some kind. Or any other ideas how you store yours! I can't keep them on shelves for lack of space.

LovingJesus

Re: Storing Old Curriculum

Post by LovingJesus » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:33 pm

I use plastic totes that stack well in our storage area. It works well. I also use it for the current year to prevent pre-reading of new curriculum. Our shelves are full of books they can re-read that are far enough down the road or finished. In August I purchase and pull books from the shelves for the year and into the tote they go. I pull them out as we need them all year and transfer them to our homeschool cupboards. It seems to work well.

kidsforHim

Post by kidsforHim » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:04 pm

LovingJesus wrote:I use plastic totes that stack well in our storage area. It works well. I also use it for the current year to prevent pre-reading of new curriculum. Our shelves are full of books they can re-read that are far enough down the road or finished. In August I purchase and pull books from the shelves for the year and into the tote they go. I pull them out as we need them all year and transfer them to our homeschool cupboards. It seems to work well.
Would you mind telling what SIZE of a tote? or even what kind works for you? THey get pretty heavy if you go too big.
Thanks

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:07 pm

kidsforHim wrote:
LovingJesus wrote:I use plastic totes that stack well in our storage area. It works well. I also use it for the current year to prevent pre-reading of new curriculum. Our shelves are full of books they can re-read that are far enough down the road or finished. In August I purchase and pull books from the shelves for the year and into the tote they go. I pull them out as we need them all year and transfer them to our homeschool cupboards. It seems to work well.
Would you mind telling what SIZE of a tote? or even what kind works for you? THey get pretty heavy if you go too big.
Thanks
They do get heavy if one goes too big! :D

They are 2 feet long, 15 inches wide, and one foot high. They do have lids and I do buy clear or clear colored so I can see inside each one. Since they are books I fill each one about 1/2 full. If I fill it all the way it does get heavy.

:D

gracecox

Post by gracecox » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:00 pm

I do the exact same thing. Target usually has them on clearance right after holidays.
Beloved of Jesus
Wife to amazing man of God
Momma to four wonderful kids!
DS7 BLHFHG
DD5 LHFHG
DD3 LHTH
DS 0

mamamag5

Post by mamamag5 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:11 pm

I use the bankers boxes you buy and assemble yourself. They are cheap and sturdy enough to hold all the books. I just write the program on the outside of the box as it is not see through.

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:09 am

I don't move my boxes of books typically, so I haven't really thought about them getting too heavy! I have two 30 gallon sterilite storage containers for books. One has the books we are using this year (A), the other has the books we are not using this year (B). I have books for about 6-8 units at a time on shelves. When they need a new book I pull it from box A. As we finish books they go into box B. When someone finishes a guide (or is close to it) I'll go through and pull all the books for the next guide from B and put them into A. We school year round so it seems like every couple of months I'm moving books around :D I have a third, smaller, storage box that has ERs and DITHOR books along with the sample book list and the pages I have listed what books are in each package and their genre.

I have two other storage boxes that have completed binders and consumables.... one for the two older girls and the other for the three younger. The two older ones went to preschool, so they have several binders and things that the younger ones don't have.

Right now in Box A I have CTC, Preparing, LHFHG (minus what we have out for the current set of units for each one). In Box B I have RtR, Bigger, Beyond, LHTH (which I will be pulling out in a few months for the last time :( ), and consumables that I have stocked up on in big orders.