Sample schedule for teaching LHTH, LHFHG, and BLHFHG?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gracecox

Sample schedule for teaching LHTH, LHFHG, and BLHFHG?

Post by gracecox » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:54 pm

Hi,
I am trying to work out a schedule for teaching LHTH, LHFHG, and BLHFHG. Does anyone have a sample schedule or things that worked for them? My DS7 will be 8 the end of September, but we school year round so we will start this summer. I will also have a 9 month old baby boy who will be in the carrier, playing on the floor, napping..etc. I am thinking about this..

Block A: DD3 does LHTH half of one day while DD5, Ds 7do (I am not sure yet, maybe morning chores if I don't schedule it before)

Block B: DD5 does LHFHG Learning through History half of one day and Learning the basics Kindergarten while DD3 listens in or plays and DS7 ?

Block C: Ds7 does BLHFHG learning through History while DD5 finishes Learning the basics and DD3 plays ( coloring, playdough, toys)

Break for snack or lunch depending on the time

Block D: DS7 does BLHFHG learning the basics and DD3 and DD5 have computer time/free time

I am debating if I should do Learning the Basics first and then learning through history during the blocks with my 5 and 7 year old? Or if I should do part of both? Meaning I would do half of Learning through History and Half of learning the basics during each of the blocks. It would look like this.

Block A: DD3 does LHTH half of one day while DD5, Ds 7do (I am not sure yet, maybe morning chores if I don't schedule it before)

Block B: DD5 does LHFHG Learning through History part of one day and half of Learning the basics Kindergarten while DD3 listens in or plays and DS7 ?

Block C: Ds7 does BLHFHG half of learning through History and half of learning the basics while DD5 finishes Learning the basics and DD3 plays ( coloring, playdough, toys)

Break for snack or lunch depending on the time

Block D: DS7 does BLHFHG second half of learning through history and second half of learning the basics and DD3 and DD5 have computer time/free time ( or I might have to finish learning the basics with dd5)

What do you ladies think?
Beloved of Jesus
Wife to amazing man of God
Momma to four wonderful kids!
DS7 BLHFHG
DD5 LHFHG
DD3 LHTH
DS 0

rumkimom

Re: Sample schedule for teaching LHTH, LHFHG, and BLHFHG?

Post by rumkimom » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:15 pm

I do not really have a schedule and work with which ever of my kids is ready the earliest. Most of the time I start out and finish up LHFHG (the older 2 work on individual stuff) and then alternate the other 2 depending on the day. Some days they need more help than other days. My Bigger boy does more things independently now (end of year) than he did at the beginning....but he was ready for it also.

I am someone who gets too stressed by have a schedule especially if I can't stick too it due to 'life'. The way I do it works for us.
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

gracecox

Post by gracecox » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:33 pm

Thanks for the reply. I am guessing I will just have to try different things. Not having a schedule might be better for us too. We shall see.
Beloved of Jesus
DS7 BLHFHG
DD5 LHFHG
DD3 LHTH
DS 0

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:19 am

Here is a thread they did awhile back of mom's schedules; it is also pinned to the top of the main board:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2093

Since you are starting with 3 guides I strongly suggest stagger starting them, or starting them all 1/2 pace. It takes time to learn HOD.

We are not doing the 3 guides you are doing, but we do have an over all schedule that starts for DH & I at 5 am. I start school approximately 8:30 am. Every night I write on the chalkboard in the dining room each of my kid's names and their subjects for the day. We erase as we go. When I add back in HOD history next year I will list it as History and then each child will work through all of the left side boxes in their HOD TM.

We go to the park one hour a day. It can be as early as 10 and late as 4.

I alternate between what they can do on their own and teaching one of them. For example, if two are doing math I am on the couch nearby teaching R&S English. Or, if one or two are on the couch reading I will be teaching math at the table. We rotate all day. They know what to expect as far as subjects, amount, exercise, and what they can do on their own. The order changes some daily. Although we do start with Bible and generally end with science or storytime.

I hope that helps.

Oh, the thread is wonderful. Julie is very organized and part way down has some good photos of her schedule. It is very helpful.

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:28 am

The boxes on the left side go together very well. It's best to do those together.
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

gracecox

Post by gracecox » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:33 am

Thank you. I will check out the thread. I will do the boxes on the left together and I am planning to do the younger two half time and stagger them.
Beloved of Jesus
DS7 BLHFHG
DD5 LHFHG
DD3 LHTH
DS 0

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:12 pm

Your schedule looks good. As others have said, the history boxes go well together and it's good to do them together in one block of time if you can. But really, it doesn't matter, and sometimes you want to alternate more active/fun things with the writing or harder work involved. As you said, you will try things, and figure out what works. I like having a schedule to go by, but not being tied to a time on the schedule because that always makes me feel like I'm behind. I like having 30-45 minute blocks with each child to really focus and try to get a few things done (or sometimes math takes that long, it just happens).

It looks like you will do great! We will pray for you as you get started.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

bethelmommy

Post by bethelmommy » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:15 pm

I will have a 5 year old starting LHFHG this fall. I plan to teach him first while the olders do their independent work. Once your oldest gets comfortable with his guide, there will be a few things he can do semi-independently - copywork, some spelling, sometimes a math workbook page after you teach the lesson. You can teach your 5 year old then. For my 3 year old, I just plan to let her join in on some of the fun activities of LHFHG and color or do a preschool work book when my 5 year old does his seat work. That will likely be more than enough "school" for her and she will then be content to go play independently. Before nap I will read her the younger LHTH Bible and devotional and a few picture books. She will not do the full LHTH this year. Once you get started, you will likely begin to get a feel for what works best at what time of the day. For our family, all seatwork has to be completed in the am. My children just do not concentrate as well in the afternoon. However, reading, art and science activities can be finished later in the day if needed. My recommendation is to get your oldest started and comfortable with his guide first. Then after a week or several, add in your next child and work that into your day. Then add your last. Honestly, the more children I have had, the less "formal" preschool has gotten done. Yet, my current 5 year old is as ready if not even more so for school than his older siblings were. Welcome to HOD!
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)

gracecox

Post by gracecox » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:58 am

Thank you Alicia. That is helpful
My children don't work as well later in the day either. I know we will have to do math and reading /phonics in the morning. They love read alouds so those could happen any time.
Beloved of Jesus
DS7 BLHFHG
DD5 LHFHG
DD3 LHTH
DS 0