MFW vs. HOD

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
gracecox

MFW vs. HOD

Post by gracecox » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:50 am

Hi,
I am wondering if anyone on here has used MFW and if so what the differences between the two programs are? I have heard HOD has more character development and that the Bible is more about developing the child's personal faith. I have also heard that the books are more living books than MFW. If you have experience with MFW will you share your opinion? I like that MFW has a missions focus and that is something I want for my kids. But I want to try HOD and try to add that.
Beloved of Jesus
Wife to amazing man of God
Momma to four wonderful kids!
DS7 BLHFHG
DD5 LHFHG
DD3 LHTH
DS 0

Mom2Monkeys

Re: MFW vs. HOD

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:04 am

~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:36 pm

I have not used MFW, but I will say that HOD has a wonderful missions focus. I think that occurs later in the program than with MFW, but we've read dozens of missionary stories and chapter books. I feel that it is a very strong component.
hth,
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:17 pm

I have used MFW before switching to HOD. I don't have a lot of time right now but here are a few links of my comments about my time with MFW and why I switched to HOD along with why I won't be switching back.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16573&p=116347&hili ... fw#p116347

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14904&p=105310&hili ... fw#p105310
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

gracecox

Post by gracecox » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:46 am

Thanks ladies. I have decided to try HOD. My kids will be in three separate guides, which I am a little nervous about, but I know it's the best placement. Are there any threads on here about scheduling the day with multiple young ones? We will be doing LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG. So no independent kids yet. I am planning on going half time with the two youngest.
Beloved of Jesus
DS7 BLHFHG
DD5 LHFHG
DD3 LHTH
DS 0

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:57 am

How old are your kids? Normally, the recommendation is to not do back to back guides because down the road, doing Bigger and Preparing together can lead to burn out on your part. Those two guides are teacher-intensive, so if you have more than two kids, doing back to back guides can be too much.
My middle two are technically in back to back guides, but when #3 starts Bigger, #2 will be half way through Preparing at least. They are 20m apart in age, and combining didn't work due to personalities. So, #2 starts guides in the summer (along with #1), and #3 will start guides in January.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Mom2Monkeys

Post by Mom2Monkeys » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:29 am

gracecox wrote:Thanks ladies. I have decided to try HOD. My kids will be in three separate guides, which I am a little nervous about, but I know it's the best placement. Are there any threads on here about scheduling the day with multiple young ones? We will be doing LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG. So no independent kids yet. I am planning on going half time with the two youngest.
At the top.of this main board, you'll see a pinned post "Let's Share Our Schedules!". Very helpful"!

You might consider combining the BLHFHG kiddo in LHFHG but use the math and LA from the right side of the BLHFHG plans. Unless there is an obvious difference in abilities, that might be easier than three back to back guides, though these three will flow easily for you. When you get to BLHFHG (for the third time in a row), BHFHG for a second time in a row), and PHFHG you will likely find yourself burnt out. BHFHG does have extensions if needed. And since you tailor the math and LA for each kiddo, combining can be done if they place back to back.
~~Tamara~~
Enjoying HOD since 2008

DD15 long-time HODie finding her own new path
DS12 PHFHG {dysgraphia, APD, SID}
DS9 PHFHG
DS6 LHFHG
DD new nursling

gracecox

Post by gracecox » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:40 pm

Thank you! I will check it out. I just placed my order for HOD today! I am very excited! Thank you ladies so much for your help.
Beloved of Jesus
DS7 BLHFHG
DD5 LHFHG
DD3 LHTH
DS 0

twolittlebears

Post by twolittlebears » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:09 pm

Just wanted to add that I started out with MFW for Kindy and 1st with my oldest, then switched to HOD because I was searching for a Charlotte Mason/Amleside curriculum. I loved MFW K, which I think is an awesome supplement in a transition year between LHTH & LHFHG. I did that with my youngest. But after the K year, I couldn't connect with the program and it seemed lacking the CM style I was reading about and seeking. I read every review I could on HOD and I read through all the samples for each guide, all the way through the older guides to see where my boys will be in older grades, and honestly the older guides are why I've chosen HOD. The younger guides are precious, hands down, they were the initial lure to HOD for me, but I needed to know where we would be 5 years down the road, and HOD is the only curriculum that I feel truly has the same vision that I have for my sons! It's all about Jesus, and the rest is icing on the cake for me. HOD is so rich and well-rounded, you almost can't describe it until you've tried it out. It is gentle, sweet, not dry or boring, beautiful books, activities and very CM!! So excited you ordered...you will LOVE it! :D
Married to my best friend 18 years
DS 10yo CTC (finished: MFWK, SL Core A, LHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)
DS 13yo CTC w/extensions (finished: WP Animal Worlds, MFW1, SL Core B, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)

gracecox

Post by gracecox » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:56 am

Thank you. I also looked at the older guides and think they will be great for my kids. Thanks for sharing. I am hoping our year goes well!
Beloved of Jesus
DS7 BLHFHG
DD5 LHFHG
DD3 LHTH
DS 0