RES to REF - Science/Weather & Shakespeare

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
JulieKO

RES to REF - Science/Weather & Shakespeare

Post by JulieKO » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:04 pm

Hello! I am going to buy Resurrection to Reformation in August for my daughter going into 6th grade (we are finishing Creation to Christ).

I have 2 questions

1. Shakespeare: I'm interested in this option, but am nervous about her not understanding it (despite the fact that it's a modern version)...b/c then I don't want to add it to her already busy day. ANY thoughts/opinions??

2. Science: I'm interested in the God's Design Wind & Weather, but I don't understand if it's projects, or independent reading? The fact that there's a teacher's guide (with supplies and worksheets) makes me think it's a bunch of projects (in which case I wouldn't get it only b/c unfortunately we just can't fit them in). Anyone have experience with this??

lmercon

Re: RES to REF - Science/Weather & Shakespeare

Post by lmercon » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:32 pm

Hi,
I didn't use that science option, so I'm no help there. However, I do think the Shakespeare exposure is really important. When my son, who is severely dyslexic, did the Shakespeare study, I had him listen to the Lamb's book online. You can find it free on LibriVox. I didn't have him track along with the book because that wouldn't have done him any good and would have made the experience more laborious. He just listened and colored the art. He enjoyed it immensely and felt like "big stuff" because he was reading Shakespeare! With my strong-reading daughter, I will probably have her follow along with the book.
Hth,
Laura
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:34 pm

My oldest had no trouble understanding the readings in Shakespeare this past year. She even enjoyed most of them. I was surprised that this box was fairly quick and didn't take up much time at all.

As for the science, I used the other resource for this past year but I do own that book too. There are daily readings most days and there are many science experiments. It is meant for the child to do it alone though so that will save you time. Most of the items they include for experiments are things around the house. I don't know if that helps or not. If you chose to use the option one resource, there aren't experiments in that book but the guide does include a weekly experiment.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:38 am

My daughter loves the Shakespeare. She has low comprehension and has no problems with understanding the stories.

We are using option 1 but I do own the other book (my daughter read it previously). We only read the books the year she did that one so I can't say anything about what the teacher's guide has you do or the experiments. She did love reading the book though.
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

JulieKO

Post by JulieKO » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:49 am

THanks for all this help!!!