Switching a Science in the Upper Grades

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
pbt12942

Switching a Science in the Upper Grades

Post by pbt12942 » Mon May 09, 2016 3:53 pm

I have posted this question on a Facebook page as well.

For anyone who has used the World History guide: My 10th grader will be doing World Geography but not the science for that year since she has already done integrated physics and chemistry this year. I am getting her the science for the Next year's guide, World History. We are going to have A LOT going on and I don't want to be overkill with science. I wish I could see how Carrie laid out the plans for Biology in the World History Guide. Did she leave out a lot or use everything? How much did she do each week/each day? I called them a bit ago but they are on vacation or something.

I will be honest, I want to just buy the plans for the science for next year. Maybe I should just buy that guide since I will need it next year anyway?

~Kyle Thomas (having mom of 8)

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Switching a Science in the Upper Grades

Post by Carrie » Tue May 10, 2016 7:12 pm

Kyle,

I would say that the Biology is scheduled in a way that is comparable time-wise to the IPC that is scheduled in the World Geography. This means that for a child who has already completed IPC, the switch to using the Biology scheduled in the World History Guide in its place would work fine time-wise and workload-wise. :D

I did schedule the Biology in a manageable way, and the plans do help for that subject area to make it open and go. It would be easiest to get the guide for World History for the Biology schedule (especially if you will be using the guide the following year anyway). Then, the following year when you are officially doing the rest of the World History plans and are needing to purchase the rest of the Economy Package for World History, simply let us know that you purchased the guide early to use the science and my husband will apply the package discount as a credit to you. That way you do not lose out on the package savings, which saves you $65.00! :D We will have a record of your purchase and can just apply the discount at that time.

Blessings,
Carrie