What supplies do I need to get organized?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
countryfam

What supplies do I need to get organized?

Post by countryfam » Wed May 04, 2016 11:41 am

Hello, This is my first submission to the board! I am getting ready to begin organizing my curriculmn for the upcoming year...We are using "beyond little hearts for his glory" Can you guys give me some Ideas on how you organize your stuff? Binders, folders, ect?? I want to be set up for success! Any help is appreciated! Thanks so much!

StephanieU

Re: What supplies do I need to get organized?

Post by StephanieU » Wed May 04, 2016 11:57 am

For Beyond and lower guides, I do almost no set up. I put clear contact paper on my guide covers to help them last longer (through all four kids), and I pick a color of Washi tape and put that on the binding of all of my books for that guide (so I can find them easily on the bookshelf in the future).

For Beyond, I print out/copy the poems to make copywork easier for my kids (instead of them using the guide). I place those in a binder with some primary lined paper for the start of the year (we transition to side ruled paper as the year progresses). You could just as easily use a composition book for copywork as well.
Next I normally print the Bible verses for easy reference. Some mom's have made nice cards that you can use. You don't have to print them at all, but I found we are more likely to review them and remember them if there are cards to look at.
Then there is spelling. You will need note cards for the words. I made the first few units before we start the year and then add to the collection as the year goes on. We used the same paper as we did for copywork for spelling, and I just put the completed pages in a binder or folder as we finished then.
Other than that, I had some page protectors in our binder ready for any thing else we created and wanted to keep (art, storytime, etc sometimes have pages). The final thing is to get the timeline ready (see Unit 1 Day 5). And that is it. It is actually very open and go.
Last edited by StephanieU on Thu May 05, 2016 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu May 05, 2016 1:09 am

Stephanie covered it pretty well. As far as organizing the work, I have a notebook and page protectors. Her copywork goes in there, and then the picture she draws to go with poetry, and again any projects or artwork that can be stored in the notebook, in the page protectors. For Beyond it isn't a lot of stuff. Also if you don't yet have basic school supplies, construction paper, paints, along with scissors, glue, etc you'll want to get some.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Sun May 08, 2016 12:22 pm

You'll want basic school/craft supplies, pencils, a ton of erasers (ok maybe that's just my house... we seem to lose erasers faster than socks :shock: ), scissors, etc.

What I do for each kid in each guide is I get a plain white binder with clear things on the outside where I can slide things in. I get construction paper that goes along with the color of the guide (So for Beyond I do blue) and I write "Beyond Little Hearts for His Glory, Kid's name, Year" and put that in the front of the binder. On the spine of the binder I use another strip of the same color paper and write "Beyond, Kid's name, year". I three hole punch a ton of white paper, and make any copies necessary and three hole punch them as well (I really can't think of anything I do for Beyond... the older guides have science experiment pages). I get subject separators and write the different areas we have loose papers for. I was very specific with my older two, so each box that had work on paper in it had a separate divider. Now I do history, science, art, and miscellaneous. Then every time they do any work, they write the Unit/Day on the page and put it in that section of the binder. I have all the spelling words written on index cards with the unit number in the corner. They live in a gallon size baggie with my school supplies that kids don't touch and each week I switch out the cards.

We have a composition notebook for each kid that they use in Beyond and Bigger for grammar, spelling, and dictation work.

countryfam

Post by countryfam » Tue May 10, 2016 11:15 am

Thank you all sooo much!