Singapore 2A for 3rd grader

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mommybelle

Singapore 2A for 3rd grader

Post by mommybelle » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:32 pm

My daughter is behind in math. We are currently working our way through Singapore 2A. She turned 9 yo in October (so she is technically 3rd grade). We just started, and she does claim it is easy, but I think that is because we are more in the review stage in these first few lessons. It looks like things will challenge her more in a few weeks.

Right now, we are following the Singapore schedule in Bigger that goes along with that day's lesson. I love the open and go approach of everything being on the same page, but I am wondering if I should have her move ahead in math a little faster. We school year-round, and I am planning to school 4 days a week right now.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I should try to move her ahead faster by maybe having her complete her math lessons 5 or even 6 days a week? I am not a fan of doubling up on lessons, but I am open to it if necessary. I just am not sure where she is supposed to be math wise by middle or even high school.
DD1 (11): PHFHG
DD2 (8): BLHFHG

DS1 (4): LHTH
http://mommybelle.blogspot.com/

Nealewill

Re: Singapore 2A for 3rd grader

Post by Nealewill » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:47 pm

If you want her to take Algebra in 9th grade, you only need to finish Singapore 6. For years HOD has had students go from Singapore 6 straight into Foeresters. Also, if you chose to do Video Text instead, you could easily go from Singapore 6 straight into VideoText. I say all this to say that you have plenty of time to get through 6 then. I would just make it your goal to try and finish 1 level of Singapore every year. This way, by the time she finishes 6, she will be finishing 8th grade. Since she is in 3rd grade right now, you have plenty of time. It even gives you a little bit of slack with this schedule and time if you find that you need it.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Tidbits of Learning

Re: Singapore 2A for 3rd grader

Post by Tidbits of Learning » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:43 am

I have a 9 yr old who is working in level 3. And it actually gives us a gap year between Singapore 6a/6b and Algebra 1. So I think you are on track.
2a/2b-3rd grade
3a/3b-4th grade
4a/4b-5th grade
5a/5b-6th grade
6a/6a-7th grade
Still gives a year for pre-algebra in 8th or some wiggle room if things need to slow down.
Algebra 1-9th
Sometimes I find if I make a chart with the grades and where we are that I can see where we are headed. The number that is beside Singapore math is not necessarily relative to the grade level in my opinion. I would keep going how you are going. You are definitely on track.
2020-2021
dd20, dd19 Grown and Flown :D
ds18-12th grade at hybrid school
ds14-8th grade MTMM President's Study and Science