Dictation Question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mommybelle

Dictation Question

Post by mommybelle » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:33 pm

I just started dictation level 1 in Bigger with my 9 yo daughter. I understand that the child should study the passage before you take it away and then read it to them for them to write. My question has to do with the last 2 lines in level 1 (the word lists). Do I read each word individually for her to write or do I read the entire list of words in each line? She has a hard time remembering the words in order (and sometimes the words I dictated). I wondered if this is part of the skill that is being built (besides just spelling, capitalization and punctuation). Is dictation supposed to also work on their attention and listening skills? If so, I guess I need to read all four words at one time and NOT repeat them for her until the next day?

Thank you for your thoughts!
DD1 (11): PHFHG
DD2 (8): BLHFHG

DS1 (4): LHTH
http://mommybelle.blogspot.com/

Nealewill

Re: Dictation Question

Post by Nealewill » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:26 am

I always just read one word at a time and I don't worry if she writes those words in the same format (like 3 or 4 on each line) or in the same order. I am much more concerned with my kids writing the sentence correctly and look at capital letters and punctuation as well as spelling.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:53 am

Since summer are homonyms, I have found I sometimes have to use the word in a sentence or phrase so my daughter is sure what to spell. I dint worry about order out format at all, especially since sometimes I dint read them in the right order on accident (skipping one along the way).
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

farmfamily

Post by farmfamily » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:19 am

I agree. I read the words one at a time and since some are homophones I give a sentence for each (my son likes to see if he can write the word before I am finished saying my sentence). In my mind, dictation is not about memorization. The passage itself can be read one short phrase at a time, waiting for the child to be ready for the next phrase. Here is a link to a similar question. Julie (the author's sister) comments at the end of the thread.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14151&hilit=dictation
blessed to be married 17 yrs to my hardworking farmer dh, mom to:
daughter 13 MTMM
daughter 11 Rev to Rev
son 10 CTC

Enjoyed Little Hands, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, Res to Ref, and Rev to Rev!!

mommybelle

Post by mommybelle » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:59 pm

Thank you all! This is very helpful. She will be thrilled to not have to memorize the order of the words.
DD1 (11): PHFHG
DD2 (8): BLHFHG

DS1 (4): LHTH
http://mommybelle.blogspot.com/