Reading after (The Reading Lesson)

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Jessica30

Reading after (The Reading Lesson)

Post by Jessica30 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:59 pm

My 5 year old is doing very well in The Reading Lesson and I see that they only do emergent readers for next year in Beyond? I am worried he will either get lazy sounding out words or he should be using a phonics program too? Has anyone added a phonics program to the readers? Or did you use a different program after The Reading Lesson instead of jumping right into the readers? Thanks!

StephanieU

Re: Reading after (The Reading Lesson)

Post by StephanieU » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:24 pm

I dint think they will get lazy with the emerging Readers. They are "real" books that increase in difficulty. They aren't like Bob books or other simple books. The first books after the Bible are I Can Read Level 2. The last few books are chapter books with names that take a little work to sound out. We found that it was a great way for my daughter to progress in her reading with enjoyable books. She note is a voracious reader, able to read the history, science, and storytime books in Bigger in her own (although I still read them to her).
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

bethelmommy

Post by bethelmommy » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:15 am

My oldest jumped right into the ER's after TRL and never needed anything else. My second child really struggled with spelling and I knew her grasp of phonics wasn't as strong (she kind of just learned to read whole words really early) so I eventually added some Explode The Code workbooks. She actually did just fine with actual reading, but the extra phonics practice helped her spelling tremendously. My third child is doing really well with reading phonetically and seems to be a natural speller, so he will likely be fine with the ER's without any supplementation. My recommendation is to follow the natural progression of the program as Carrie has planned. If you notice a problem, then reevaluate and adjust :)
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:24 am

I agree, going straight into the Emerging Readers should be fine if your child is reading well in The Reading Lesson. We are almost there too! However if you feel your child is a bit young or the progression of books gets too challenging too quickly for him/her then you can always add in the extra books in the ERs. Each unit has another book and I used those with my 2nd daughter to stretch it out a little bit. She wouldn't have been ready to move ahead, and reading was very frustrating for her. The extra books aren't paced and don't have discussion questions so we would just read for 10 minutes and then discuss it each day.

Reading real books will develop that love of reading, it's worked with 2 of my kids so far!
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven