Schedule for emerging readers

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
scrapper4life

Schedule for emerging readers

Post by scrapper4life » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:53 am

In the daily boxes, there is an option to follow the schedule for emerging readers listed in appendix. How detailed is the schedule? Does it last out how many pages to read each day or just a list of books to use?

StephanieU

Re: Schedule for emerging readers

Post by StephanieU » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:50 am

For each day, it lists what to read and questions related to the reading. The questions vary in type, using Blooms Taxonomy for claasification. And for every unit, a supplemental book at about the same reading level is also listed.
The only exception is the Early Readers Bible. For this, she lists the page numbers, but there are no questions in the guide as that Bible has questions listed at the end of each story.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

LovingJesus

Re: Schedule for emerging readers

Post by LovingJesus » Sat Apr 16, 2016 9:52 am

I Loved the emerging readers in the back of Beyond. They launched two of my children into being able to read nearly anything up through 6th grade material. They made reading fully click for both of them.

The schedule is page numbers and questions. The books increase in difficulty throughout the year. If I remember correctly the first book was reading through the entire Beginner Bible, which was a beautiful way to start. The questions include some comprehension, some oral narration, some synthesis, and some analysis.

The emerging readers read aloud to me and followed by the questions is one of my all time favorite homeschool memories of our now almost 7 years of homeschooling.

Carrie did a great job! :D