NEED High School Math Advice

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
John'smom

NEED High School Math Advice

Post by John'smom » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:08 am

My ds (John) has used MUS from the beginning. He has always done well with it and he is currently in MUS Algebra. He is about 1/2 way finished with the book. My advice I am wanting is, should I stick with MUS all the way through? That was my plan until looking at HOD's high school suggestions for Math. If we switched the option I would choose would be Videotext. We got their DVD in the mail and listened to Tom Clark at the convention. I have read repeatedly, if something is working for you, don't switch. Where my indecisiveness comes in is I've repeatedly read MUS isn't the same caliber in their high school books as the previous books, but then I have read the opposite as well. I know HOD doesn't just suggest things lightly either. Anyone have an opinion they would like to give me?

P.S. I actually ordered MUS Geometry and the convention, then went back to the booth and returned it. Well, they made a mistake and shipped it to me anyway and so now it is sitting on my piano waiting for me to decide what we should do.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

mamanlait

Re: NEED High School Math Advice

Post by mamanlait » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:15 am

STICK with what is working! We tried VT and it was just not a successful choice for us. We came from Singapore so I couldn't really stick with anything. ;) I have heard very good reviews about MUS when used all of the way through. The bad reviews come to play when people jump into it in High School thinking their kids will understand the visuals. I am a true believer in being consistent! If your child is getting it with MUS, don't make a big change now! Not all kids understand the MUS way just like not all kids understand the VT way. Make sense? :) Hugs!
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:19 am

I am the poster child for indecisiveness so I may not be the most helpful.

The first thing I would consider is why you feel unrest in this area. So you feel like it isn't working as well for your son as you would like? I know people say that if isn't working, don't fix it. But in general, do you feel like it is accomplishing what you are looking for. Also, just because VT looks better, it may or may not be the best fit for your ds. I have researched SO MANY MATH programs!!!! I think they all have their niche. Each is different and speaks to kids differently. I know that in school, all the kids are learning from the same math program. Yes, I do know that there will be a few kids who are left behind but in general, the teacher is what makes the difference in the classroom no matter what math book they use. With us homeschooler, we are all looking for the program to make the difference with the kids.

As I look to the future with my own kids, I have become less and less concerned with the "rigor" of the program and more and more concerned with whether or not my kids are growing from it and whether or not they are retaining it. I definitely consider it a bonus if they actually like it too :-) If your son likes MUS and is learning, then I would probably be hesitant to switch. So many times I also hear people bash a program at certain stages but like you said, there are people who rave about it too. Don't worry about what others think. If you like it, I would stick with it personally. And while I do think VT is a great program for some, it isn't for others. I have looked at it myself and had originally planned to use it because of so many wonderful reviews. However, as my kids have gotten a bit older I now feel it is not for me (many my oldest, she would be set to start in 1 year if I went that route). At first, I actually thought that is what I was going to do. But then I decided against it. I personally (totally a personal preference here) didn't like that they would learn all of algebra but then not see it again once they moved into geometry. I decided that I wanted my kids to have Algebra 1, then Geometry, then Algebra 2, and then Precal. I like that they will get review of the algebraic concepts in Algebra 2 and the geometry concepts when they study Trig (that may be in the Algebra 2 book but I can't remember). VT pushes that kids can finish this program quickly so that they can score well on the SAT and ACT test. I was concerned that they might forget some of the key math concepts on the test if they didn't have that extra review. And this may or may not be a problem. For me though, I am choosing review over doing all of the algebra at once and all of geometry at once. Again, this is a personal preference.

So, with all that being said, I would also not discount the fact that you have unrest. Maybe the spirit is leading you to choose something else. If so, I would just start praying about it. If the Lord is leading you to VT, I would definitely do it. But I would spend some time praying about why you have unrest and as God for clarity in this area.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:05 pm

Thanks for the replies, ladies. They were a big help. Daneale, I don't know I would call it unrest....it was that I was looking at what HOD suggested for high school math and thought Videotext looked great and thought I think it would work well for my dd and if it was such a great program, then maybe we should do it for both. After praying and thinking and dh, ds, and I all talking it out, he is going to stick with MUS. :D
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:28 am

Ah....I see. Yes, I think I do remember now that your ds uses MUS and your dd uses Singapore. Yes, that does create quite an expense when you have to use two different programs. :? Oh well. I think sticking with MUS is wise even if it is going be more expense.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM