Can WWTB be used in Res to Ref for writing?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Kteni

Can WWTB be used in Res to Ref for writing?

Post by Kteni » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:06 pm

I have been looking at the sample pages for Res to Ref and see that the Medi Hist Writing is used. Can we use Writing With The Best in Res To Ref instead? We have not used it in CTC (but should have, sigh). She will be using R&S English 6 next year. She will also do the Shakespeare option and is very excited about that. Thoughts?
in {heart} 17 years
yarngirl 14- CTC w/extensions, MUS, DITHOR
legoboy 11 - Bigger w/extensions, MUS, DITHOR
tractorboy 5 - LHTH 1/2 speed
camobaby 3 - tractorboy's shadow

Rice

Re: Can WWTB be used in Res to Ref for writing?

Post by Rice » Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:09 am

What would be your reasoning for wanting to switch?

I am impressed with the Medieval. It is in manageable chunks each day and leads them to more actual writing of their own (rather than the analysis of WWTB). I like how it prepares them to think through what to write about and how to logically lay out the format of a paper, as well as how to add elements that improve the style of it as they go. Oh, and how to edit their own work, too. The kids (2 boys who have done WWTB and most of Medieval so far) don't seem to enjoy any program but I am enjoying "teaching" (facilitating?) this one. :)

My DD will be (due to a strange set of circumstances, including learning to read very late, yet quite quickly when she finally did) skipping CTC this year, moving straight into RTR from Preparing, and I will go ahead and skip WWTB along with the rest of it (though I do plan to have her read some of the CTC books either over the summer or as DITHOR books!).

However, maybe there are some things I am missing that others can help address, since I am in no way an English major myself!
Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

momtofive

Post by momtofive » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:14 am

My advice would be if she places in RTR, I'd just go with the IEW Medieval writing course that's scheduled. We absolutely loved using it with my older kids, and it fits beautifully with the content within the RTR guide. :) We're getting ready to use it again with our third child next fall. ;)
Lisa ~ Gal. 2:20, Prov. 3:5-6
Mom to five great blessings :)
Ds23 - Graduated from HOD!
Ds21 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd19 - Graduated from HOD!
Dd17 - US History 2
Dd16 - World History

Loving HOD since 2010!

Kteni

Post by Kteni » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:44 am

ok, so two good votes for IEW, but brings up another Q... how much online printing needs to be done? is thee a hard copy available to order? We don't have internet at home due to where we live, but I can get a bar on my cell phone. Down loading pages eats up data. Is this feasible?
in {heart} 17 years

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:36 am

We did Write with the Best this year in RtR as we did not do CTC last year (started HOD this past fall) and it worked fine, but my daughter is below level in her writing so it was best to start there with her. If your daughter fits perfectly in RtR, I would go with the one listed in RtR.
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:28 am

You don't need to download much. There are just a couple of pages that were printed online and it was mainly word lists. I ordered the physical student book so I didn't have to download that. I also vote for IEW. I have loved it for my dd this year and she has learned a lot.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Kteni

Post by Kteni » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:39 pm

Thank you so much mamas, you have been so helpful. I think I will order the physical IEW student book as well. Creative writing is the only thing she remotely likes about English, so I think IEW will be the best plan as is. I really do appreciate this board and all the info sharing!
Last edited by Kteni on Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
in {heart} 17 years

Rice

Post by Rice » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:48 pm

Even with the student book (which I do suggest you get) it is suggested that you download the SRN (student resource notebook?) from their website. Maybe you could download it somewhere and save it to a jump drive. You don't need all of it (most of what you need is word lists like someone already mentioned) but it is very helpful. There is a list somewhere (in the guide, maybe? I forget now) of which pages you should print. I printed each type of list (-ly words, adjectives, etc.) on different colored paper and I LOVE it that way (much easier to tell my boys to turn to the blue page, instead of numbers since you don't print them all).

I hope you enjoy IEW!

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Kteni

Post by Kteni » Thu Mar 31, 2016 10:28 pm

Good idea, thank you Rice, I was thinking the SRN was the hard copy thing I could order additionally. I hope I can just put it on iBooks on the iPad at the library. Then I could print of the pages needed if need be.
in {heart} 17 years