Need help deciding on a phonics program

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
amandalayman

Need help deciding on a phonics program

Post by amandalayman » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:07 am

Hi, I am confused as to which phonics program to go with for LHFHG. My daughter (4) is familiar with some of the phonetic methods, however she is still learning. I am trying to decide between Reading Made Easy, Reading Lesson, or Explode the Code. Does anybody have any suggestions as to which program works best?
Thank you,
Amanda

StephanieU

Re: Need help deciding on a phonics program

Post by StephanieU » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:22 pm

I presumably would go with The Reading Lesson. Then, if your child wanted/needed a workbook to practice things in, I would add in Explode the Choice. But TRL is a full program as written
I would pick it over Readying Made Easy because it covers more phonetic rules. And I would pick it over EtC because for many, a workbook is too much book work at a young age.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

amandalayman

Post by amandalayman » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:01 pm

Great, thank you! I was curious as to which book would cover everything, etc.
Thank you for your reply! :)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:09 pm

I have not used Reading Made Easy. I have used The Reading Lesson and Explode the Code (very briefly). ETC has a lot of writing, I would think most 4 year olds couldn't keep up with the amount of writing in that. Plus it's more rote drilling of sounds/blends, and pretty dry workbook format. There is a precursor called "Before the Code" I think which is more of a story. The Reading Lesson is only reading and practicing sound/blends along with reading sentences and stories. It is good for younger ones who show interest and skill in sounding out words. You can take it more slowly with a younger child so they don't get to hard stuff too quickly. The vocabulary is completely controlled (I think in all 3) so they are reading things they mostly should be able to read with the things they've learned. The sight words thrown in are always tricky but I even remind my DD that it's a special one.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

amandalayman

Post by amandalayman » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:29 am

Thank you for your advice! I don't think I'll do Explode the Code with her. I'll just stick with The Reading Lesson, since everyone seems to think it's best! Thank you for your time and response!

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:27 pm

The pre-Explode the Code books are Get Ready, Get Set, and Go for the Code (three separate workbooks). I would use those with The Reading Lesson.
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:28 pm

Also, at that age, I made school pretty optional. The books were there when the kids were interested, but I didn't "make" them do anything when the interest wasn't there. Their primary job at that age is learning through play. :)
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:48 pm

I agree with the above poster...school at age 4 should be optional. I did not do anything at all until my kids were age 5. Both my boys struggled to learn how to read and the older one was finally reading at age 8. The younger one is almost 8 and still has not figured it out. My girls were a bit younger. The oldest figured it out very fast at age almost 6 and then was reading third grade level by the end of the year. My younger daughter struggled a bit but was reading a little bit when she was 6 (she used 100 easy lessons). She was slower at reading and still struggles with comprehension at age 14. My oldest LOVED Explode the Code and the next 2 did not but it worked for both of them (and then we proceeded with Rod & Staff reading/workbooks for grade 1). My youngest is just starting the Explode the Code books as he does not know all the letter sounds yet.
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

amandalayman

Post by amandalayman » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:28 pm

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I will check out the other Explode the Code ones you mentioned.
It's hard for me, because she really wants to keep up with her brother and she is obsessed with "reading" books on her own. She always asks to "do school", so for her, I am teaching her at this age. That's why I asked, because I don't want to make it boring for her, but fun and engaging! Also, I'm actually referring to next year's grade level, as she will be five then. Thank you for the suggestions everyone!

quiverfull

Post by quiverfull » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:10 pm

I love the Logic of English Foundations series :)
Married for 30 years….Mom to 9~
Five graduated, four still in school. 28, 26, 24, 22, 20, 18, 16, 12, 10

Used/Using
WH
WG
MTMM
Rev2Rev
CtC
Preparing
LHFHG

amandalayman