Extensions in MMTM

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mendaymom

Extensions in MMTM

Post by mendaymom » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:47 pm

I have been told that Carrie posted a discussion on how MMTM can be used for high school credit without including the extensions. I cannot find that thread anywhere. Can anyone help me?
Lisa

**I posted this previously but never receive a response...

Nealewill

Re: Extensions in MMTM

Post by Nealewill » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:49 am

I have heard someone in the past stated this - that Carrie said the extensions wouldn't be necessary. However, I have not seen evidence of this on the board. Here is a recent thread from August 2015 where Carrie talks about the high school history and needing the extensions for high school credit:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16631&p=116687&hili ... ns#p116687
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:25 am

You could without question award s half credit in history without doing the extensions, which is normally all you need. If you are going to add to the Economics to make it a half credit, that is the path I would take.
As for if the extensions are really necessary for a full credit, I think it is debatable, all depending on what you use to define a credit. Most kids are probably silencing enough time on history throughout the year to get close to the hours required for a credit...
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

John'smom

Post by John'smom » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:57 am

My ds is going to do MTMM for his 9th grade year. I just finished talking to Julie last Friday and she told me yes that Carrie does say we should do the extensions to get the credit for history. We are also adding in the Spanish from the first high school guide as well.
Edwena
*Married to my best friend for 16 yrs
*Mom to ds (15), dd (13), dd #2(3)
*Combining my dc in WG (2017-2018)
*Completed and absolutely loved BLHFHG through MTMM

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:23 pm

Lisa,

I apologize for missing your question on the board the last time around! I just responded to your email question today, because Julie popped in to talk to me about your email. I happened to be on the board, posting our first sneak peek for US2 and noticed your post here. So I have included my response below, so our other board readers can read it too. :D I hope this helps clear up any confusion.

To refresh my memory, I have pulled up the thread which you excerpted in your email. The excerpt was as follows:
Tabitha,
I just wanted to pop-in and mention that you can award a full credit for the history in MTMM. :D At the time I wrote the older thread on beefing up MTMM, the MTMM guide was brand new. Since we were not fully into writing the high school guides at that point, nor had I gone far enough through high school with my own son to truly know what could be awarded as high school credit, we were erring on the very cautious side with our advice on how to claim high school credit.

The thread which contained the excerpt is linked below for your reference as well.
Link: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16623&p=116946

In the excerpt you included in your email, which I've also included on the board post here, I was responding to Tabitha's reference to an old post of mine about awarding credit for MTMM that included the following comment:
Going by Carrie's info in the various beef-up posts, you need to combine histories from Rev to Rev and MTMM to be able to get a full credit in American History. My dd skipped the Rev to Rev guide, so only had one part of the history.
In that context, you can see a bit better what I was intending to say with the part you quoted. I can see where it can get confusing! I didn't mention the extensions in my response in the thread (linked above). The question about extensions was actually asked later in the thread, and I never got back to respond. Sorry about that!

My earlier advice quoted by Tabitha above was when I had first written MTMM (and we had not committed to writing high school guides, so we were still navigating what equalled a credit.) I hadn't even graduated my own oldest son at that point, so we were erring on the side of caution with the credit counting. Now that I am coming to the end of the high school guide writing process, and I have graduated one son and will have another who is a senior next year, we are well aware of what constitutes a credit. :D I can easily see now that you can award a full credit for history in MTMM for your high school student, but we are intending that your high school student is using the extensions (unless the student is dyslexic or really struggles with reading). The extensions are really needed for high school level work. High school students could omit the Basic Package if desired. :D

Hope that helps to clarify! Thanks for your patience in hearing back from us. :D

Blessings,
Carrie