Creative writing in high school

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mendaymom

Creative writing in high school

Post by mendaymom » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:45 pm

My daughter will be doing WH next year. She is interested in creative writing. Has anyone substituted a creative writing program for EIW in high school? We are thinking about The One Year Adventure Novel. It's a full English credit, so I would have to figure out how to adjust the HOD schedule.

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Creative writing in high school

Post by Carrie » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:54 am

Mendaymom,

I just wanted to let you know that we do schedule creative writing in high school in the US1 Guide using In Their Sandals. My son is using - and loving - the program this year. :D So, the creative writing is coming! :D

I would advise you to wait to do the creative writing course until the US1 Guide, because your daughter will need the foundation that is laid in EIW to do many of the assignments in other subject areas in the coming HOD guides. EIW lays a terrific foundation in a variety of needed writing skills and types of writing. My older two sons are both creative writers at heart and both enjoyed EIW. Just be sure to allow your daughter to choose her own writing topics for the lessons, within reason. That will spur her interest in what she is writing! :D

Even if you have already done EIW in the WG Guide, you'll find the WH Guide year of EIW really cements those writing skills and makes them more second-nature. With my oldest son in college right now, he is continually thankful for the foundation from EIW as the writing output he is required to submit weekly for his coursework draws heavily on the writing practiced in EIW. There is little to no creative writing in college.

The One Year Adventure Novel is also quite an intense, time-consuming program that would add more time to your daughter's day then we are planning for EIW to take (doing it twice weekly alternating with grammar). I spent quite a bit of time looking at the One Year Adventure Novel for my own oldest son when he was in high school, and I was surprised with how much time the daily expectations would take to complete! You could always consider having your daughter do the One-Year Adventure Novel partly in the summer if desired.

Blessings,
Carrie