use different levels, or extensions?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
amygerber

use different levels, or extensions?

Post by amygerber » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:58 pm

This next school year I will have a first grader, second grader and sixth grader. Would you recommend that I place them each at the level they seem to fit best in, (3 different levels / packages) or should I do the first and second grader together (thus just 2 packages) or should I try and do them all in the same package with an extension for the sixth grader, and some writing / reading supplements for the younger two?
I have a math program that I will use

rumkimom

Re: use different levels, or extensions?

Post by rumkimom » Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:54 pm

I suggest checking the placement charts. If your younger 2 place in levels just 1 apart, you might consider combing them at the lower level one. There are no extension materials until you reach Bigger (about 3rd grade). If they place 2 guides apart I suggest using different guides. :) The older one should be in his own guide. I am currently running 3 guides and it is doable. :)
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

amygerber

Post by amygerber » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:43 pm

ok, that's what i was wondering .... it IS possible for a mother to stay sane and do 2 or 3 guides

advice?

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:55 pm

Yes, running multiple guides is doable! The nice thing is if everyone is placed well, you have almost no planning out prep work to do. I spend 5-15 minutes a week making sure we have everything for each guide, and that is it. If I tried to combine any of my kids, my planning would be more because I would have to modify things.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

amygerber

Post by amygerber » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:38 pm

so is there some independent work for the kids? while you're working with one child, what are your other children doing?

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:55 pm

I agree with others about checking the placement chart. What ages are your 1st and 2nd grader? Do they both fit nicely in the age range of Little Hearts or Beyond Little Hearts? Do they both skill wise fit in either of those guides? If so, then you could just use those guides as is (adjust math and possibly grammar) and you wouldn't even necessarily need to use the extensions for the kids. My oldest uses her own guide and my younger two kids are combine. My younger two kids started out combine the first year with did HOD. Then I separated them the following year. This year I started the year off separate but my two kids were only guide apart. I found that for the past year, while they being kept separate was nice, I really preferred to have them both together since they are so similar skill wise. So, half way through this year I put them together again. That did mean that my son will be repeating some of the things he did last year and I am letting him do the science Preparing instead of repeating the science in Bigger. For me, this works well. Next year I will have him do something else for science for my son too but then the following year, him and his sister will do the same thing. I really like having those two kids together. And my oldest is much more advanced then my son and youngest dd. It works out very nicely having her do her own thing too.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:00 am

I am running 3 guides and I think I am still sane. hahahaha!!
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:24 pm

amygerber wrote:so is there some independent work for the kids? while you're working with one child, what are your other children doing?
Your oldest one will probably end up in a guide with a good deal of independent work. Here's my assessment of the "amount of work" or way you balance when you have multiple guides going (I'm doing 3 guides).

LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond - these 3 guides are for little years and as such there is not a lot of work to do each day. LHTH takes 30 minutes all together, LHFHG between 1 hour to 1.5 hours, Beyond 2 hours or maybe a little more. All work however is with you, maybe in Beyond there are a few things that you can start and explain directions and the child can finish (copywork).

Bigger and Preparing - work load has increased quite a bit, and they still need you for about 1/2 of their work or more. Bigger is not intended to be independent but there are several things that are more independent and in Bigger I definitely get in the habit of starting the child off on a task and letting them finish on their own. Preparing introduces "I" boxes which the child is supposed to read and complete on their own, with you either listening to a narration, or checking over their work later. Again in these guides, you spend more time with the child but you are laying a foundation for them to take off independently and do their work with excellence. Bigger is 3-3.5 hours a day of work and Preparing is probably 4-4.5 but the teacher is not expected to be involved in all of the work. Teacher time is about 2.5 hours in Preparing.

CTC-MTMM - gradually increase in skills and independence, and I would say for each guide the teacher time is about the same each day, maybe 2 hours?

Obviously times can and will vary depending on you and your child. So in balancing your work and your time, this is why it is not recommended to place children (especially if they are Preparing or below) in back-to-back guides. You will have that year of having Bigger and Preparing both and it will be a LOT of work for you. So if children place 2 guides apart you keep them separate because combining will be too complicated, too much adapting, the older child may not be challenged enough, etc. But if they are 1 guide apart you might do some of the extra work of combining just so you don't have to run two guides, especially the two most intensive ones together.

To combine it is also recommended to use the guide the younger/lower child places in and add on for the older one. This keeps the younger from being left behind or always in something they can't do. Since each guide builds on the previous one, if a child can't do the work of a previous one, it will just keep getting more difficult and they might never fit into their guide.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

StillJulie

Post by StillJulie » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:30 pm

I'm very happy keeping my kids in their own guides (and I'm no less sane than when I started this journey).
16yo DD using US History 1 for 11th grade
14yo DS using World Geography for 9th grade
13yo DS using Rev to Rev for 7th grade
10yo DD using Creation to Christ for 5th grade
8yo DD using Bigger for 3rd grade
7yo DD using Beyond Hearts for 2nd grade

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:30 pm

rumkimom wrote:I am running 3 guides and I think I am still sane. hahahaha!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for making me laugh - ditto on my end!

Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:33 pm

amygerber wrote:This next school year I will have a first grader, second grader and sixth grader. Would you recommend that I place them each at the level they seem to fit best in, (3 different levels / packages) or should I do the first and second grader together (thus just 2 packages) or should I try and do them all in the same package with an extension for the sixth grader, and some writing / reading supplements for the younger two?
I have a math program that I will use
From what you've shared so far, 2 guides will be necessary. This will be easier than 1 guide with the large age range you have anyway and much more enjoyable. :D Your 1st and 2nd grader could be combined or not combined, depending on what is best for them overall. Could you please share details about each of them with the first page of the placement chart in mind? We can then all chat through options that are individually suited to your children's needs. Hoping to help once we have more info! Link: http://www.heartofdakota.com/placing-your-child.php

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie