Need help with curriculum choice

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
DebbieL

Need help with curriculum choice

Post by DebbieL » Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:37 pm

I am trying to understand what to order for my two little girls. I've looked at the site a hundred times in the last week and I'm still baffled. They are six and a half, just starting to read Bob Books. They have strong basic math skills. Should I do Little Hearts first grade selection? Any advice would be appreciated. I'd hoped to start our new year next week but haven't been able to get the curriculum ordered.

Jennymommy

Re: Need help with curriculum choice

Post by Jennymommy » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:11 pm

Good news is shipping is very fast with HOD 8) I think you might feel better if you give them a call or email directly, though. You will love the curriculum when your dc are well placed.

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:45 pm

Calling is always a good option.
I think LHFHG and Beyond could both with. If you are one that wants to finish a guide in a year, doing 180 days of HOD, then I would go with LHFHG. If you on the other hand have plans for co-ops, lots of field trips or unit articles, or other things that would make 180 of HOD school a year hard, I would lean towards Beyond, using it for a year and a half, Bigger for a year and a half, and then hopefully you would be able to do Preparing up at about a guide a year synced those guides are written to be 35 weeks, for days per week.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

DebbieL

Post by DebbieL » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:17 pm

Thank you! I school year round, but we will continue CC and our church coop:) I'm driving myself crazy!

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:40 pm

You're planning to do CC, fully, and HOD? That's a lot of doubling up in the work.

Beyond has Singapore 1A/1B with hands-on activities and has Emerging Readers in it. Now Bob books are pretty easy and your children may not be ready for Emerging Readers yet, they should be reading 2nd grade level books to start Emerging Readers, otherwise you would want to pick one of the phonics options in LHFHG (start part way through if the beginning is too easy). Usually if you were using HOD for your whole curriculum and wanted to do LHFHG I would personally recommend you buy
1) the economy package
2) Devotions for the Children's Hour
3) whatever math you need, whether Kindergarten A/B or Primary Mathematics 1A/1B (if you buy the Beyond guide you get a schedule with fun hands-on activities for 1A/1B) (2 copies of your workbooks)
4) the science book and CD I see as truly optional. The CD is very helpful with the memory verses but we memorize a different version.
5) Order one of the Bibles if you want a Bible storybook rather than your own Bible. We use our own Bible.
6) Phonics

But you're doing CC and that complicates things in my mind.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

DebbieL

Post by DebbieL » Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:29 am

Thank you. This was very helpful. We live in an area with very few homeschooling families, so CC has been our lifeline for enjoying fellowship and friends. But the style of learning is not working for one of my kids due to learning disabilities. CC is going to be coop and learning from the songs, but not our core curriculum.