How do you stay motivated?

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
quiverfull

How do you stay motivated?

Post by quiverfull » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:57 pm

At this time of year, I'm so ready to be done with school. How do you all stay motivated? I've been doing this a long time and it's always so hard. I'm finding the longer I'm at it, the harder it is. Anyone else struggle with this? How do you stay excited about school?
Married for 30 years….Mom to 9~
Five graduated, four still in school. 28, 26, 24, 22, 20, 18, 16, 12, 10

Used/Using
WH
WG
MTMM
Rev2Rev
CtC
Preparing
LHFHG

MelInKansas

Re: How do you stay motivated?

Post by MelInKansas » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:52 pm

I understand how you feel! I feel like I keep taking days off and I'm still burnt out! We are taking spring break this year, though I don't think I've ever done it in the past, but my birthday is that week and my oldest will be finished with CTC right before that.

It's just hard. The kids have spring fever and so do I. I do have one friend who takes off from mid-March-June because they have acreage, animals, and grow a very large garden so there's just a lot of work to do (I'm not sure how they manage harvesting and putting up all the produce in the late summer and fall while doing school, but by July they are back at school again). But I think even if my school year was different, I would not want to do school in the spring. I just wouldn't.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:07 pm

Well, I bet it IS hard for you with such a large family. I love large families and know they are blessings. I want to recommend you read a book called "Teaching From Rest" by Sarah Mackenzie. It changed the way I feel about and approach homeschooling. It is truly a blessing to read. There will ALWAYS be more than you can do. Prayers for you!
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

quiverfull

Post by quiverfull » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:36 pm

MelInKansas wrote:I understand how you feel! I feel like I keep taking days off and I'm still burnt out! Yes, Exactly! We are taking spring break this year, though I don't think I've ever done it in the past, but my birthday is that week and my oldest will be finished with CTC right before that.

It's just hard. The kids have spring fever and so do I. I do have one friend who takes off from mid-March-June This sounds lovely! because they have acreage, animals, and grow a very large garden so there's just a lot of work to do (I'm not sure how they manage harvesting and putting up all the produce in the late summer and fall while doing school, but by July they are back at school again) My kids would never go for that :wink: We do usually start back up by the beginning of August though. . But I think even if my school year was different, I would not want to do school in the spring. I just wouldn't. I agree! I don't know how people school all year round either. Sounds really good, but I know it would never work with my personality :wink:
mrsrandolph wrote:Well, I bet it IS hard for you with such a large family. I love large families and know they are blessings. I want to recommend you read a book called "Teaching From Rest" by Sarah Mackenzie. I have heard this book recommended so many times....I think maybe I need to read it It changed the way I feel about and approach homeschooling. It is truly a blessing to read. There will ALWAYS be more than you can do. Prayers for you! Thank you so much! Prayers are much appreciated :)
Thank you ladies! I love coming to this board. So much encouragement :)
Married for 30 years….Mom to 9~
Five graduated, four still in school. 28, 26, 24, 22, 20, 18, 16, 12, 10

Used/Using
WH
WG
MTMM
Rev2Rev
CtC
Preparing
LHFHG