Rod and Staff English help

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
sally525

Rod and Staff English help

Post by sally525 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:06 am

My son is using English 5 and is not retaining. He has used 3 and 4 also. We do most of it orally, do the review at the beginning, and some written. I have bought the workbooks that go along with them in the past. He is in 7th grade this year and I am getting concerned. I'm not sure what to do next... Do I change programs? I'm keep hoping one day it is going to click. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Nealewill

Re: Rod and Staff English help

Post by Nealewill » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:05 pm

If it were me, I would probably just clipping away with R&S. I know it must be frustrating when you are holding his hand through some of this work when you feel like he should soaring just fine on his own. One reason that I would stay to stick it out is because R&S 7 & 8 are a lot more writing and not as much "grammar." Since those programs were chosen to compliment the high school guides, you may find that writing portion usful. If you switch programs, you will miss out on the writing. Also, how is his grammar in writing? If he is doing well there, then again, I wouldn't stress over it. But that is just me. I think grammar comes easily to some and is hard for others. As a child, I personally struggled with grammar. As an adult, I find it comes more naturally. As long as you are helping in through it, then I wouldn't stress over it.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:59 pm

Rod & Staff 5 if tough. I remember all too well that year. ;-) I can only tell you what we did. We drudged through and eventually it got easier. Every R&S book gets easier towards the end. I almost re-did book 5 until I realized that book 6 was pretty much a review year of 5 plus a little bit more. Don't worry! Keep going! :)
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)

sally525

Post by sally525 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:46 pm

Thanks you guys so much for your encouragement! I was considering stopping where we are and restarting but if 6 is a repeat maybe I will reconsider and not torture him :D

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:02 pm

I would do the workbooks with him and still keep the book exercises oral. quickly review the previous lesson before moving to the next.
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:40 pm

R & S 5 has been the toughest for us. 6, 7, and 8 have gone more smoothly. We are doing most of 5 orally and clipping along with our middle ds now. Our oldest is doing half-speed 8 quite easily and 99% independently. I think it's work working through 5. Both of our sons are strong writers. It is due, in part, to R & S English. I agree with Carrie about not adding workbooks. It's already enough without them. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie