Wanting to come back to HOD, with question

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
christyg

Wanting to come back to HOD, with question

Post by christyg » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:50 pm

Hi! We are wanting to come back to HOD full time, but have a question. Here is little background info on us. I have 2 kiddos who we used HOD with (Little Hands through Preparing). We were about to begin CTC with the oldest and Bigger with the youngest. At the time, were just not clicking with Singapore math and the thought of teaching writing made me a nervous wreck. I was also looking to simplify by combining them into as many subjects that I could. So, for the next two years, we just did our own thing with a few of the HOD books thrown in because we love the book choices so much. We had just an ok couple of years. I really liked being able to coordinate videos, field trips, etc. to go along with our studies. But, I felt like my oldest was never challenged enough and the younger was probably challenged too much at times. And, the planning! :shock: I feel like I have spent all of my free time (and then some) for the past 2 years researching curriculum! It is exhausting and NOT making things as simple as I thought it would. :wink:

I am actually glad, though, that we went through that time away, because it has made me appreciate so much more what we had with HOD. I just love the simplicity of it, and knowing that everything is covered. Just open the guide and go. Simple. :)

So, we are wanting to start Rev to Rev with my 13 year old and CTC for my 11 year old this next school year, starting in July.

Now, my question. Writing. This is definitely my weak area in teaching. The last couple of years we did BJU Grammar/Writing with the oldest and just the grammar part of BJU with the youngest. It was pretty easy to teach, but after looking over my oldest child's work, it just felt like it belonged to BJU and me instead of her. Does that make sense? I would REALLY love to be able to do HOD's writing choices paired with Rod and Staff as written. But, after looking at the books that we will be using (The Exciting World of Creative Writing and Write with the Best Vol 1), I'm not sure that I can teach this without a teacher's manual of some kind. How hard are these to teach for those of us who feel this is our weak area in teaching? I have bounced around the idea of using Rod and Staff paired with Essentials in Writing 7 for Rev to Rev and then later with MTMM since it is used in the high school guides. My worry with that is that it will cause everything to feel off balance. My other option is to let them take an IEW writing class with a local co-op, but I don't really want to be away from home for something like that. We like to save trips out for the fun stuff. :)

I really appreciate any advice that you can give. Thanks!

Christy :)

Nealewill

Re: Wanting to come back to HOD, with question

Post by Nealewill » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:22 am

When I chose to use HOD as my curriculum for my family, I chose it because I completely lack the ability to teach Language Arts and HOD does such a great job. I struggle with teaching writing as well but honestly, a teacher's manual doesn't necessarily help. Every level my kids have done so far has been fantastic and I have had no trouble at all with teaching from each book. I would say that if you are able to follow the directions, check to see if your kids followed the directions, then you will be fine. Most of the assignments are very straightforward and don't need an answer key. Also, each book comes with check lists on what the teacher is looking for in the writing. I should also say that I haven't taught the writing in RevtoRev but I already bought the entire level and have read through the writing book. It look similar in style but different in application to the writing in CTC. I think it will complement it very nicely. Since your oldest hasn't had CTC, then it will probably be a bit of a change. But it will hopefully be a good one. I find the writing activities in each guide to be somewhat freeing and that my kids can really find their own voice all while still completing the activities correctly.

Also, one thing to keep in mind about expectations of your child's writing is that they aren't as advanced as you. I say this in completely love. And if this isn't your challenge or wasn't the problem, then I am sorry and please ignore the rest. I am the absolute poster child for being the worst at this with my own kids. I struggled all the time with taking my oldest's writing assignments and turning it into my paper. I would see what other kids had done and think wow, this isn't nearly as good. That isn't fair! My oldest was growing and that is all that matters. I also will say that I teach college accounting classes and read a ton. I have an idea in my mind how this writing should look. Well......my idea isn't realistic and I had to come to terms that my oldest is only 11 and she just isn't to this level LOL. I have relaxed a lot. I still have certain expectations. I do get frustrated when there is a check list and my dd never follows it (for example, this year in IEW on EVERY SINGLE ASSIGNMENT I have had to point out that she skipped half of the things on the checklist and she has to then add them in.) It is literally driving my bonkers. But that is on her, not me. And she does go back through and fix it after I point it out. But I think this is normal. I also think that this summer I am going to make her learn to type as I think this will alleviate some of these issues. This way she can learn to jot her thoughts down on the PC and then rearrange and adjust more simply. But I digress...... Back to you, I think HOD definitely provides great books for teaching writing and that you definitely can make the writing theirs. I now make suggestions for things that are lacking and give my dd the opportunity to make it better. But I guess what I am saying is that if you are like me, it will take your dedication to not change your child's writing significantly each time but let them grow it on their own.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

christyg

Post by christyg » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:55 pm

Thanks so much, Nealewill! That does make me feel better about the writing curriculum! :)

No worries on the advice. :wink: I appreciate all that I can get. I am really trying not to compare her or my son to me, to other kids, or even to each other. I try to remember that the Lord has created us all differently, and that He does so for a reason. I absolutely LOVE teaching history! But, history is not my kiddos thing. :wink: My older has a definite creative leaning in her favorite subjects and my son hasn't really figured his out yet. I think that it is those subjects that make me the most nervous to teach. I just don't want to stifle it in any way for them because of my weaknesses.

Christy

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:55 pm

Welcome back! :D I think you are going to enjoy these guides, even the writing. You will enjoy seeing your dc's ideas take their own shape and develop into their own stories that really mean something to them. It is like a window into their hearts and minds - so much more meaningful and impacting than writing the perfect story that looks exactly the same as everybody else's story because of the way the plans are written, which is what I think you were meaning by what you said in regard to their last writing curriculum. You don't have to be great at writing to teach it with the resources Carrie has chosen and with the Charlotte Mason mindset intact. The plans are bite-sized - doable, and with clear directions. The goal is not necessarily to produce perfect writers, but students who write because they have something to say. The best thing I have learned - help them pick a good topic. I spend some time on that. If they are picking a topic they know nothing about and care nothing about, well, that's the way the end product sounds. My son wrote about his 3-wheeler for one assignment. It was a great story! Anyway, just try to enjoy the process - you are going to do just fine with writing, and so are your dc. We all have are areas that aren't are favorite or best, but we're still, as loving Christian moms, the best teachers for our kids. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

Welcome back! :D I think you are going to enjoy these guides, even the writing. You will enjoy seeing your dc's ideas take their own shape and develop into their own stories that really mean something to them. It is like a window into their hearts and minds - so much more meaningful and impacting than writing the perfect story that looks exactly the same as everybody else's story because of the way the plans are written, which is what I think you were meaning by what you said in regard to their last writing curriculum. You don't have to be great at writing to teach it with the resources Carrie has chosen and with the Charlotte Mason mindset intact. The plans are bite-sized - doable, and with clear directions. The goal is not necessarily to produce perfect writers, but students who write because they have something to say. The best thing I have learned - help them pick a good topic. I spend some time on that. If they are picking a topic they know nothing about and care nothing about, well, that's the way the end product sounds. My son wrote about his 3-wheeler for one assignment. It was a great story! Anyway, just try to enjoy the process - you are going to do just fine with writing, and so are your dc. We all have are areas that aren't are favorite or best, but we're still, as loving Christian moms, the best teachers for our kids. :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

my3sons

double post
Last edited by my3sons on Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Sister to Carrie

sweetsimplelife

Post by sweetsimplelife » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:04 pm

Thanks so much, Julie, for the encouragement! :) I think that I am going to go for it. :wink: It is reassuring that the writing is in bite sized chunks. Also, after some more research on the boards, I have also seen that Carrie modifies some of the directions from the books for us. So, that will help me, I am sure. I really appreciate all of the sweet ladies on this board who are so quick to help out.

Blessings,
Christy :)