Older Mommy Brain

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Karlyn

Older Mommy Brain

Post by Karlyn » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:37 pm

I'll be 40 in just a couple of months, and I have four boys ages 4-8 (the 4-year-olds are twins). I've been using the lower-level HOD guides, which are great. However, I'm wondering if I'll be able to teach HOD to my boys when they are older and learning about things that I just can't remember anymore. It has been a long time since I've taken classes in history, science, literature, etc. How can I teach something that I don't remember very well? I can't even remember where I put my purse or car keys most of the time! I guess I'm just feeling inadequate...not up to the task. My boys are depending on me for all of their academic, spiritual, emotional, mental, and physical development. It really feels like a lot to take on! Can anyone relate? Is HOD a good choice for someone who has a hard time remembering pretty much anything?!

snadig

Re: Older Mommy Brain

Post by snadig » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:02 pm

Yes! HOD is perfect, because Carrie puts the guide together for you. Just open and go. As you go along you will find your routine that fits, and you get to learn things along with them. So if you don't remember ( like me) it makes it that much more exciting.

Don't look at the mountain right now, just one day at a time. The Lord picked you to teach them and will give you all you need. Just lean on Him!

Just shoot me a pm if gave anymore questions.

Blessings,
Stacey
Stacey in Co

Married 21years to my best friend
my wonderful kids:
19-dd-College student Aug 18
17-dd-US 1 Histroy -Aug 18
13-ds-MTMM - Aug 18
Finished:Beyond,Bigger,Preparing,RtoR,RevtoRev,CtC,MtMM,WH,AH1,AH2

Karlyn

Post by Karlyn » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:16 pm

Thanks for the encouragement! I know you're right. I'm just worried that they will start asking questions that I won't be able to answer. I can see myself saying "Let's Google that!" waaaay too often. I'm thankful for the Internet, but I wish my brain would have retained more of what I used to know. You know some moms have this well of knowledge from which they draw...like pointing out forager ants when their kids are at the park...I remember stuff like that when I hear it, but I could never point it out or teach it... :wink:

Lynn3ggb

Post by Lynn3ggb » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:35 pm

Hi Karlyn,

I can totally relate. I turned 40 last year, and while I have never had an excellent memory, I am definitely beginning to notice some less than welcome "senior" moments...lol :shock: I have also noticed my energy waning. I just don't have the endless energy or laser-sharp focus I used to enjoy.

My oldest graduates this year and will be off to college. That leaves me with an 8th and 9th grader. I guess having reached the "finish line" so to speak with one and having two just beginning high school is a strange feeling. At this time in my life, I feel as though I am running low on fortitude and enthusiasm which causes me to worry that my younger two may get slighted in some way.

On days when this bothers me, I try to think of it like this...My daughter who is graduating this year had guidance from a younger inexperienced mom who was full of energy, but unsure about everything. This caused me to be intensely focused and more strict with her. I felt I had to be this way because I feared getting it all wrong. My younger kids will be guided by a more mature and relaxed mom, who has had success and can more easily put homeschooling pressures into perspective.

So, even though my kids will have experienced me as a teacher at different stages of my life, I feel they will have benefited from what I had to offer at those particular times. Does that make sense? I am a firm believer that God provides what we need right on time. Many days this is the promise I have to hold on to, and He has never failed to deliver.

As far as HOD being doable with our less than stellar memories...In my very humble opinion, HOD is exactly what I need at this stage in my life. Remember, you don't have to know it for your kids to learn it. If this was the case, my kids would never have gotten beyond basic algebra concepts. You simply have to encourage them and provide the necessary resources if you are not an expert in the subject. I schooled my oldest without the use of Carrie's guides. As I enter the high school years again with my younger two, I have no anxiety like before. HOD has made my life so much easier. It is so well put together and already provides excellent resources that are planned out in detail. The only way I could get it wrong is not to do it at all.

I think I am starting to ramble (that memory thing again) :wink: You are right. Homeschooling at any age is an enormous responsibility. They really do depend on us for everything. I am immeasurably grateful, however that I have the HOD guides to get me to the finish line two more times.

Hope this helps in some way.

Blessings

Rice

Post by Rice » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:39 pm

I'll be 40 this summer. I am LOVING HOD, using 5 guides this year and finding that I am learning right along side my kids, and sometimes they even teach me! :D Almost everything you'll need to know is in the guide or the suggested books; whatever isn't you can enjoy exploring for and learning together with your kids, but 99% of the time, it's right there.

Mommy brain is not a deterrent to using HOD! :D

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Tiffini

Post by Tiffini » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:43 pm

Hi, Karlyn! I am 44 years old with kids ranging from 18 down to 7. I struggle with memory issues and focus issues as I'm sure most do as we enter our 40's. I have found that a very good quality multi-vitamin and fish oil supplements daily, as well as exercise, make a huge difference with those things. That aside, the last thing you need to worry about, IMO, is knowing everything. They will be teaching themselves so well by their high school years if you follow HOD's plans and philosophy. I LOVE learning everything with them as I am able to. But they are completely capable of reading, interacting, and learning what they are being scheduled in the guides - and also of finding more information if they want it - and this is because of how HOD has taught them so gradually and so purposefully how to be self-learners. If we still needed to spoon feed them and teach them everything at the high school ages, then I would be concerned about how they would do for higher level learning. If I don't know something, we learn it together or they just go find out on their own and tell me about it! I don't know a thing about Chemistry, higher math, etc., anymore, but the kids are fully capable of doing it on their own and I don't worry about it. If they really don't understand and can't find the answer themselves, then we will find someone who does or work on it together until we find the solution. Please don't let your fears of not knowing things hold you back. It truly does all work out. :D
Tiffini
DD (21 ) Graduated! Used HOD from 5th Grade through 12th Grade!
B/G Twins (18) Graduated! Used HOD from 3rd through 12th Grade!
DS (12) and DS (10)- Preparing Hearts
HOD Users since 2008

Karlyn

Post by Karlyn » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:23 pm

Thanks so much, everyone! You are all very inspiring...maybe I can pull this off! At this point in my homeschooling, I'm finding that my twin 4-year-olds are my biggest challenge. They seem to really need a lot of energy, enthusiasm, and activity to keep them interested in learning. I'm so tired sometimes. I think my younger self would have been much better at teaching preschool. It's my own fault having them later in life, and I guess they'll just have to get what they get! Maybe it will actually get easier as they get older... :)

countrymom

Post by countrymom » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:34 pm

Well, I have you all beat as I am 51 :) with a 9 and 10 year old and we are doing fine with HOD. The beauty of the HOD guides is the fact that they guide our children to learn and guide us to help them learn. Basically you will learn along side them. It has been a wonderful experience for us so far. I did start taking vitamin D awhile back and I notice the difference in clarity and memory. Don't worry, you will be fine. My advice on the 4 yr olds is let them run and play and don't worry about school yet. It will be less stressful for everyone.
Countrymom
Wife to J
Big J - LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, Rev to Rev, Modern Missions, beginning parts of World Geography
Little J - LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, working in CTC

Karlyn

Post by Karlyn » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:37 pm

Thanks, Country Mom! You are awesome! :)

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:50 pm

I will be 40 in mid-March! I guess it's a good year to turn 40. I guess I have never worried about not being able to answer my kids' questions or talk more in-depth about what they are learning. I too feel I have learned so much from the HOD materials, things I either never learned in school or have forgotten (and I love how it's from such a Biblical perspective). I just feel that when I don't know an answer it's good to work with my kids to find the answer and show them how to find those answers for themselves when they're curious. That's a good learning experience for them too. So it's never bothered me that my own knowledge and background aren't always the best (or my memory). But that's just me, I hope you are able to come to peace with what the Lord has given you and use what He has given you to His glory.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

rumkimom

Post by rumkimom » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:21 am

I'm with countrymom...I just turned 50 and I have a 7 year old, a 10 year old, a 14 year old and a 17 year old...3 of whom are in HOD. I take Vit B and find that one really helps with tiredness, I use MCT oil and that is supposed to help with mental clarity as well as other things. I also use essential oils. :)
----
Wendy C.
DH-Owen
Emily (19 - graduatated from UCC spring 2018, Fashion Design Program)
Melody (17 - Rev 2 Rev-unit 21, IEW for writing, grammar, completed math)
Steven (12 - CTC, IEW for writing, grammar, spelling, TT Math)
Clarence (10 - PS)

Karlyn

Post by Karlyn » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:40 am

Thanks for all of the suggestions on supplements...I think I will try to add some to my diet and see if that helps. This is a good year to turn 40! May God bless you all for your encouragement! I really appreciate it! :D