Retelling in HOD helped dd give children's homily at church

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
ednerisa

Retelling in HOD helped dd give children's homily at church

Post by ednerisa » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:23 am

Three weeks ago our church's children ministries leader asked me if my 8yo dd could give the children's homily for this weekend's youth led worship service.

I said yes although dd didn't want to. I told her that it would just like be retelling which we do so often for school. (She's in BHFHG, btw)

She was given the print out for the homily but she didn't read it until a week later. I was thinking we needed to practice it everyday but kept putting it off. Well, last Wesnesday, I told her we needed to practice. She answered that she already knew it and proceeded to "retell" the story. I was floored. We didn't need to practice anymore. Well, I did make her retell it just one more time with her cookie props. :)

Thank you Carrie and Mike for this wonderful program. We have been blessed by your curriculum again and again. I praise God that with HOD's help, my dd was able to serve Him in church today.

Tooactiveboys

Re: Retelling in HOD helped dd give children's homily at chu

Post by Tooactiveboys » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:17 pm

That is great to hear! Thanks for sharing.

Blessings to you and your daughter :)

Becky
Becky
Married to DH 21 years
DS 9 just finishing Bigger
DS 8 just finishing Bigger
Completed: LHFG, Beyond

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:36 pm

How exciting! The merits of orally narrating cannot be overstated. It is a skill that crosses over into virtually every single part of life, from giving homilies to sharing phone messages, from telling a friend about the movie you saw, to sharing the Sunday sermon with someone you care for. Give your dd a big HOD hug - way to go! :D :D :D

In Christ
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

ednerisa

Post by ednerisa » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:05 pm

Thanks, Becky and Julie!
God bless!

Christine

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:00 pm

Thanks so much for sharing! :D What a blessing it is to see skills like narration carryover into a child's daily life. It is exciting to catch unexpected progress and realize our kiddos are taking in so much more than we thought! :D

Blessings,
Carrie

ednerisa

Post by ednerisa » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:05 am

It is exciting indeed, Carrie.
Thank you for all that you do.
May you be blessed even more.

Christine