Moving up help

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
twolittlebears

Moving up help

Post by twolittlebears » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:14 pm

HI!
I have loved this year so far! My 10 yo is in Bigger and 7 yo is in Little Hearts. But after Christmas every year they both have a learning curve! I really toyed with beginning them both in Preparing and Beyond, but due to skill levels, chose to hang back. Now that we've progressed through Bigger, I feel my oldest has the hang of HOD and the flow and is ready for more of a challenge. Also, after looking over the long term plan for my oldest, if I don't bump him up, he won't get through all of the guides, and I'd like for him to. I'm wondering if I should bump them both up now into Preparing and Beyond or even put the oldest in CTC. He will be 11 in August, his cursive is really coming along beautifully. We are breezing through R&S grammar 2. He definitely needs more science and a heavier work load. My little one would do great in beyond, so I'm good there. My oldest I just want to place properly. I appreciate any feedback!!
Married to my best friend 18 years
DS 10yo CTC (finished: MFWK, SL Core A, LHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)
DS 13yo CTC w/extensions (finished: WP Animal Worlds, MFW1, SL Core B, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)

StephanieU

Re: Moving up help

Post by StephanieU » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:03 pm

I would look at the placement chart with fresh eyes and see where they each place.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:35 am

You know your kids best. If you feel like your oldest needs more and is ready to move up a level, then do so. That's the beauty of homeschooling. You can move at your child's pace. Sometimes that means slowing down and sometimes that means jumping up a level so they can learn on their level. Feel free not to finish a guide if your child needs more challenging work. I'd hate to see a child doing less than they are capable of just for the sake of finishing. We will probably be jumping up into Preparing soon since my 10 year old has made a lot of progress lately and the things in Bigger are becoming to simple to keep his attention.
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:44 pm

From what you've shared, I'd probably finish out LHFHG, as your youngest is in the right target age range for that guide and will be fine moving on to Beyond when finished with LHFHG. I'd move your oldest ds up to PHFHG now, as he sounds ready. I'd not skip PHFHG to do CTC. There is quite a jump from BHFHG to CTC. PHFHG bridges it nicely though. HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

twolittlebears

Post by twolittlebears » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:14 pm

Thank you ladies! That is exactly what I needed to hear! I will move oldest up now to Preparing, I was concerned about not finishing Bigger with him, but he's just ready for more. It's nice to have permission, in a sense, to not finish a guide. I like to finish things, so that's a relief to have the green light. Youngest can finish up Little Hearts and stay on the path we're on! :D
Married to my best friend 18 years
DS 10yo CTC (finished: MFWK, SL Core A, LHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)
DS 13yo CTC w/extensions (finished: WP Animal Worlds, MFW1, SL Core B, BLHFHG, BHFHG, Delectable Ed, PHFHG)