I wish I had the guts to leave HOD for a year!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
lmercon

I wish I had the guts to leave HOD for a year!

Post by lmercon » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:26 am

LOL! Did I get you with that subject title? In all seriousness, I do wish that. But I don't have the nerve. I don't want my kids to miss a single thing in HOD. My children have used HOD every year of their schooling except my oldest son's kindergarten year. They are SPOILED, and they don't get it! I can say it a thousand times, but until they actually experience it, they will never truly understand how incredibly good they have it. They are normal kids. They put on this facade of "not liking school." It's like that's what the world expects out of them! But they have no idea how interesting, varied, unique, and rich this way of learning is! I wish I had the nerve to put them in a exceedingly boring, rigorous, killjoy program for just one year so that they would BEG for HOD again! But I won't because I'm weak. ;)
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

kidsforHim

Re: I wish I had the guts to leave HOD for a year!

Post by kidsforHim » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:57 pm

LOL! Really!
lmercon wrote: wish I had the nerve to put them in a exceedingly boring, rigorous, killjoy program for just one year so that they would BEG for HOD again!

It probably wouldn't even take a year. But then if they were like mine, they might actually LIKE what I thought was boring, rigorous, killjoy!! I feel like I don't know how my kids learn best anymore.( OR what WOULD be best, like it or not) What they once loved, now they hate :o :shock: Or that's what is seems! They reached 9th grade and poof! I can't find the right thing.(they are boys) I've pretty much said to them, hard, tired mama that I am, this is life, this is school, just do it! and then cry all over hubby :roll:

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:00 pm

I actually felt overwhelmed at the beginning of the year personal and thought about leaving HOD. But my kids actually had an intervention with me and begged me not too LOL. I did make some changes actually, I was running 3 levels and switched to 2 and now I am back in love with it. But I do think it is hard for kids because sometimes they just don't want to do anything. If that is their attitude, that is when I step in and make my kids extra miserable, at least till their attitudes improve.

I will say this, we did not start with HOD. We came to HOD two and half years ago. My kids do know what boring and killjoy programs are (I think HOD is rigorous so I can't really take that out of the equation) and they didn't like it. HOD is WAY better! They know it. I am sorry that your kids don't like HOD right now. I pray it all goes better. That is a really tough spot to be in right now and it can feel like an eternity while you wait it out.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:36 am

Oh I do the same thing sometimes. My kids also will complain sometimes and say they don't like school. Well, we all don't always like to work at things. But yeah, they would really see how good they have it if they switched. Not that we will. We love HOD too much!!

And I will say the complaining has gotten a lot better since 1) we got into a good routine after Christmas, where school is really every day (except Fri-Sun, Friday is our co op day) and 2) I got out of my bad attitude about school. Whew. Praise the Lord for good friends who talk you out of your funk.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

crlacey

Post by crlacey » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:17 pm

I completely understand. Not that I'd want to leave HOD, but I wish my kids knew how good they have it. I've thought about letting them visit school on visitors day, but honestly, they'd probably love it since they do special activities on those days. Maybe I should just re-create real school for a week (up at 6am and all).
Crystal
DD 20 married college graduate
DS 17 college student
DD 11 CTC

Finished: LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG, PHFHG, CTC, Res to Ref, Rev to Rev, MTMM, parts of WG and WH