HOD Love!

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
bethelmommy

HOD Love!

Post by bethelmommy » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:30 pm

My oldest ds (9 1/2) just started Preparing after the new year. Is it possible to fall in love with HOD all over again? He was worried the increase in work would be more than he could handle. After Unit 1, he developed a routine and is doing wonderfully! Most days it is only taking him a little longer than in Bigger to complete his work, and usually it is because he is waiting on me. If I were to let him read his history and do a few other boxes more independently he could finish a bit sooner. I am just amazed at how smooth the transition has been and how well he is handling the writing and drawing! He has Cerebral Palsy and High Functioning Autism, but is an advanced reader, and this guide for him (with free reading the extensions) is perfect in all areas :) .

My dd (8) struggled last year with Bigger when she was combined with ds. I slowed her WAY down and let her mature. This year she is doing just as well as ds did last year. She is not as fast or avid a reader as ds, so I only hand her extensions when she is looking for something extra to read. However, she is great at all the projects and writing! Truly, when kids are placed appropriately they can FLY with their HOD guide :D !

Ds (5) is still preK this year but is loving The Reading Lesson! We are on lesson 7, and for the third time in a row I am so happy with this program :D ! We just started in late October when ds turned 5 because he was so interested in learning to read. I think he is flying through this program faster than either of my first two.

So, HOD (Austin and Grosz families) - I am sending lots of loving thoughts filled with gratitude your way! Our days are not perfect, and occasionally there are tears (kids and/or mine :wink: ) , but overall I wake up excited to work with my kids each day. My heart is filled with joy as I see them eager to learn and consistently growing in independence, character, and love for the Lord and each other. The academics of course are excellent - ds scored well on his testing last year and the kids are constantly sharing what they have learned. Thank you HOD for making homeschooling for our family so enjoyable and dare I say, easier these last 5 years :D . We look forward to many more years with your inspiring and God glorifying curriculum!
Grace and peace,
Alicia
DS 14 MTMM, DITHOR 6/7/8
DD 13 Rev2Rev, DITHOR 4/5
DS 10 Bigger, DITHOR 2/3
DD 8 Beyond, Level 2 Book Pack
(Previously completed LHFHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, RTR, Rev2Rev, and DITHOR 2/3, 4/5)

raindrops

Re: HOD Love!

Post by raindrops » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:10 am

I loved reading this! I couldn't agree more. We fell in love with Benjamin Franklin during Bigger and Squanto during Beyond....I wonder who will be "the person" of Preparing that son latches on to. :)

Wonderful, wonderful homeschooling experience...happy sigh...
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

lmercon

Post by lmercon » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:26 pm

Wholeheartedly agree!
Wife to a great guy and mommy to:
Ds(15) - using WG and loving it!
Dd(11) - using Res.to Ref and having a blast!
Ds (3) - our joy!
Two little ones in the arms of Jesus - I can't wait to hold you in Heaven!

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:23 pm

I just loved reading this, and I plan on sharing it with our families!!! It is a joy to see such progress along the journey of homeschooling. :D Being in tune to how each child is doing, and how things are going overall for the family at the same time, are both indicators of a loving homeschool mom at work being a good teacher in the home. It amazes me how a small adjustment in pacing HOD can make all the difference in the world! I also have come to view PHFHG as the harvest of a job well done in BHFHG, by both the dc and by me. :wink: It sounds like you are experiencing that with your ds in PHFHG now, and also by changing the pacing for your dd in BHFHG, you are now experiencing the joy of a good match going forward for her. You are right - our days are not perfect either. Yes, sometimes there are tears. Sometimes they are mine, sometimes they are someone else's. But, I have come to view 'perfection' in homeschooling as good days overall, great years stacked up altogether, and a marathon-like moment victory finish in Grade 12! :D I can see the finish line. It looks GOOD, but it also makes me want to slow down and enjoy, truly savor, the last miles. Thanks for sharing, and may the Lord continue to bless your homeschooling as you bring Him glory! :D

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie