About to begin Preparing - question about Deluxe Package

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
MelInKansas

About to begin Preparing - question about Deluxe Package

Post by MelInKansas » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:54 pm

My 2nd born will begin Preparing in January. She is a pretty good reader, and I seem to remember the books in the Deluxe package (that the child reads themselves) are pretty easy. She has been doing DITHOR 2/3 for maybe 3 months now so she read "Amelia Earhart, young air pioneer" and just finished Stone Fox. She did well with both, although I do have to help her sometimes. I have definitely seen her stamina to read longer readings improve since we started DITHOR 2/3.

Would she be ready to read the Deluxe package books and the Science? Do they read the science in Preparing, seems like that is an independent box?

Thanks for your help as I guess I'm just having a "Mommy brain" moment or two.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Nealewill

Re: About to begin Preparing - question about Deluxe Package

Post by Nealewill » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:56 am

Yes, I would include the deluxe package for her. It really helped my oldest dd improve her reading skills tremendously when she did it. Truth be told, I actually can't imagine not doing Preparing without it. I felt that if I didn't include it, then my child wouldn't have been ready for the increased reading in CTC. Make sense?

Also, yes, they do 100% of the science independently. My son is doing the science this year because we started the year out in Preparing for him originally. And while he could easily have done that level this year, I just didn't have time for teaching all 3 separately with my work schedule. Anyway, he is doing very well with it. He does still need some help on day 3 when he answers questions. He likes to sit next to me so he can use me as a dictionary. And on day 4, he will usually want me standing by in case he has questions. But other than that, he does it all by himself each day.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Mumkins

Post by Mumkins » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:59 am

It really is a great part of Preparing. All the drawing is in there. I too feel it's preparing kids for CTC. They may not be ready for the workload without it.
7 awesome kids!

2 graduated
2 at highschool
3 coming home to homeschool in the fall💕
DD5 LHFHG
DS9 Preparing
DS12 RTR

We’ve enjoyed LHTH, LHFHG, Beyond, Preparing, CTC, WG

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:29 am

If she did Bigger as written then she'll be ready for Preparing. :) The readings are really short at the beginning and increase in length throughout the year.

LovingJesus

Post by LovingJesus » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:04 am

The reading in the deluxe package doesn't start until unit 5. The first 4 units are copy work and drawings from the Draw and Write book. The first book to read is the 5,000 year old puzzle, which is mostly colorful illustrations. Then there is more copy work and drawings from the Draw and Write book. The Trojan Horse early reader is scheduled at the end of unit 9. So it will be spring before she will increase her reading for the deluxe package box.

I agree with the others that I cannot imagine Preparing without the deluxe box. It adds a lot to the history being studied, includes the drawings my two have loved, and is preparing them for the higher reading levels and reading load of CTC.

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:26 am

Thanks all! Thank you LovingJesus for the reminder that Draw and Write through History is actually the first book and so it will be a little while before she is reading independently. DITHOR wears her out, that is another concern I have, but I should have known and remembered that it ramps up pretty slowly and she should be able to do fine.

I too think they are wonderful and a great part of Preparing. Plus by CTC she will need to take over on a lot more of her reading so it will be good for her to have that preparation. I was just questioning whether or not she is ready. But I think she is. Has anyone ever had their child read the Deluxe package books out loud to them? Maybe I should stay close by in case she encounters words she doesn't understand.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:23 pm

I have had my son read the science to me quite a bit so far. Sometimes he doesn't sound words out and he just keeps on going. I wouldn't mind if it was a few words but sometimes it seems like it is every other word :shock: . When he does this, he doesn't even realize that he has completely lost the meaning of everything he read. He is getting much better but I do still have him read some of it aloud.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM