Pre-Algebra Recommendation

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
juliegmom

Pre-Algebra Recommendation

Post by juliegmom » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:22 am

I have a child who will be completing Horizons math through grade 6. She does well in math, but it is her least favorite subject. I want her to have solid instruction as we move forward into upper math, but I don't want it to become a battle ground either.

What pre-algebra would you recommend for a child who has never used Singapore? Math is not my strong suit either so I want something that breaks down problems and has plenty of examples. I like the look of Foerster but I don't think they offer a pre-algebra text. I'm a bit concerned that Foerster may be bit too challenging for my daughter and for me to teach. I am looking at Lial's which I've read has ample examples and also has a pre-algebra text.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

Blessings,
Julie

StephanieU

Re: Pre-Algebra Recommendation

Post by StephanieU » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:14 am

This is a question that had been on my mind even though my oldest is only on Horizons 3 and I am mathy. I like Foersters Algebra better than Horizons, so what will we do for prealgebra?
One option maybe be a Carrie's new suggestions between Singapore 6b and Foresters. I'm also considering doing Horizons through Algebra 1, and find Foersters either after our along side that since by daughter will be in the younger age range anyways.
I wonder what other ideas people have though as well.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:00 am

I fully intend to use the resource that Carrie suggest for my kids between Singapore and Foeresters. My only decision now is whether or not I want my kids to take Algebra for 8th grade or 9th grade. I can easily have my kids do either 1 of those levels or 2. I am eager awaiting the release of the 2nd prealgebra level so that I can make an actual decision at that point.

Below is a link to the release that Carrie gave of the new math option for between Singapore and Foeresters:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16637
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

juliegmom

Post by juliegmom » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:24 pm

My daughter is using Horizons 5 now and I know we will continue with it for 6th grade.... so I'm thinking ahead too. ;)

I'm not thrilled with the teacher's guide and am certain we will need more guidance once we hit pre-algebra. If I felt more confident in my teaching ability I would probably just stick with Horizons for pre-algebra and algebra.

I'm aiming for Algebra 1 in 8th grade as long as I think my daughter will be ready. I will take another look at Carrie's recommendations for pre-algebra. I've never used Singapore so if her recommendation involves Singapore I'm concerned about our ability to just drop in and go with it.

juliegmom

Post by juliegmom » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:12 pm

Just saw your link and see that it's something other than Singapore. Off to check it out. Thank you, Daneale!

Little Women

Post by Little Women » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:07 pm

We went from Horizons 6 into Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra, twice. I had them do the chapter test at the beginning instead of the end, and they were able to skip the first 6 or 7 chapters. But then some of the chapters took a really long time, and I had them do 30 or 45 minutes instead of a whole lesson, so it evened out in the end.
Long-time homeschooler, short-time HOD user.
Mom to
K21: college senior
L19: college sophomore
C15: high school sophomore
J12: 7th grade

luv2homeschool

Post by luv2homeschool » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:40 pm

My son has used Teaching Textbooks 4-6 and is using pre-algebra this year for 7th grade. He's had great success with TT.
Christine
DS 12, Rev to Rev
DD 10, Preparing
Our fifth year using HOD!

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:13 pm

Teaching Textbooks
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

StephanieU

Post by StephanieU » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:33 am

If you are considering Foersters, I would not use Teaching Textbooks. It is a program that does not focus on critical thinking at all, and critical thinking is a big focus of Foersters. Horizons has some critical thinking, but not as much as Singapore. So going to something less would probably make Foersters more challenging unless your child is naturally good at mathematical reasoning and critical thinking.
Last edited by StephanieU on Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

juliegmom

Post by juliegmom » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:34 pm

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond.

Stephanie, my oldest has used TT and I agree with your comments which is why I don't think I will go that route again. Maybe we can weave in some Singapore with our Horizons before we hit pre-algebra to help prepare my daughter.