Alt. storytime for LHFHG

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
hs.mama07

Alt. storytime for LHFHG

Post by hs.mama07 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:11 pm

Hi! I am doing LHTH with my 5 year old and am taking it slow to give his fine motor skills a chance to catch up. In the meantime, I'd like to add a storytime similar to what is in LHFHG, but I'd like to save the Burgess books for when we actually do the guide. I know I've seen recommendations on here, but can't find them. Does anyone have some good ideas? :-D
Liz

DS 8 Bigger
DS 5 LHTH with phonics and K math

StephanieU

Re: Alt. storytime for LHFHG

Post by StephanieU » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:45 pm

How about sums of the Burgess books and Potter stories that aren't in LHFHG?
Mom to
DD15 US1 (completed LHFHG-WH)
DS13 MtMM (completed LHFHG-Rev2Rev plus some of LHTH)
DD12 Rev2Rev (completed LHTH-RtR)
DS7 Beyond (completed LHTH-LHFHG)

Rice

Post by Rice » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:50 pm

A.A. Milne books (Winnie the Pooh)

I'll also PM you with a couple ideas of where to look for some CM/Living Book reading lists for the early years, as I know Carrie doesn't want us to promote other curricula here. ;)

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:11 pm

I second reading some of the other burgess books. We read several of them as well after we finished the burgess books through HOD.

For me, I would actually just look at the other read aloud books in the Beyond and Bigger if your child likes it when you read to them. I am at a point now where we get books on tape regularly from the library and listen to them every night. Also, my kids used to love when I read picture books to them. I would get tons and tons of those as well. I spend quite a bit of time just reading to my kids when they were younger and loved it. Many times the librarians can be tremendous helps. Also - many times they might not be. I have used them for ideas and sometimes it pans out. But there are many times when it doesn't work out quite as well.

My kids are now at an age (finally LOL) where we can sit and listen to lots of books that I also enjoy listening too. My husband set up speakers on my mantle in the living room and I can plug a book in during the day if we want to listen. We have found that several of the books listed in the read aloud selection of Beyond and Bigger are available on audio from the library. And if those books aren't available, I might be able to find books by the same author that we can listen too. We also sometimes do things the old fashioned way....mom reads it to everyone :-). But the best part for me has been that if your kids love to listen to you read, many times you can read longer stuff and they are still captivated. I do love that HOD doesn't schedule too much formal time of me reading to my kids when they are younger because then we can still enjoy books together as a family.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

christina32344

Post by christina32344 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:40 pm

We read the Beatrix Potter's books and then followed it with the required reading.
Christina
LHTH, LHFHG, BLHFHG, BHFHG,PHFHG, now CTC- daughter age 11
LHTH-son age 3

Hope

Post by Hope » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:09 pm

hs.mama07 wrote:Hi! I am doing LHTH with my 5 year old and am taking it slow to give his fine motor skills a chance to catch up. In the meantime, I'd like to add a storytime similar to what is in LHFHG, but I'd like to save the Burgess books for when we actually do the guide. I know I've seen recommendations on here, but can't find them. Does anyone have some good ideas? :-D
While you are waiting for the Burgess books the following were some of my children's favorites when they were age 5:

*Make Way for McCloskey, A Robert McCloskey Treasury (Blueberries for Sal, Make Way for Ducklings, and 6 other of his picture book stories).

*James Herriot's Treasury for Children (Stories such as Moses the Kitten, Only One Woof, and 6 other picture book stories).

*A.A. Milne's original Winnie the Pooh stories

*Beatrix Potter's original The Complete Adventures of Peter Rabbit (Peter Rabbit, Benjamin Bunny, the Floppsy Bunnies, and Mr. Toad)

*The original Curious George stories.

*I think their top favorite at ages 4/5/6 was this one: Uncle Wiggily's Story Book by Howard R. Garis (These stories were originally written starting in 1910 and are full of good character lessons for children. I think they would prepare well for the language usage of the Burgess books)

We found all of the above to be living books and our children definitely learned a lot from listening to them read aloud at ages 4, 5, and 6.

hs.mama07

Post by hs.mama07 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:23 pm

Yea! Thanks so much everyone! He loves stories so much and I've reached the end of our personal library, lol. This will help a lot! :-D :-D
Liz

DS 8 Bigger
DS 5 LHTH with phonics and K math