Foerster's Algebra

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
daybreaking

Foerster's Algebra

Post by daybreaking » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:53 pm

I just spent an hour looking for online samples of Foerster's Algebra 1, as I'm considering ordering the text for my son, but had no success. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how review is built into the Foerster's text. Do the daily assignments contain a review section which covers material learned in previous lessons and chapters? If not, is there cumulative review built in, in another way? Also, how long does it take to complete a day's lesson, including both teacher and student involvement? Thanks so much!

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16

daybreaking

Re: Foerster's Algebra

Post by daybreaking » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:24 pm

Anyone?

ds21 & dd16

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:03 pm

Trying one last time. :)

ds21 & dd16

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:04 am

I would call HOD directly. I know there are several moms on here that use it but I don't know that they are on the forums as often.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

my3sons

Post by my3sons » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:12 pm

Good afternoon, daybreaking! :D

We used Foerster's and found the review to be more than adequate. Here are pictures of the TOC, so you can see the amount of pages and the amount of times reviews are planned...
Image Image Image Image

Also, Carrie wrote some wonderful 'helps' for Foerster's in her WG guide Introduction...

Foerster’s Algebra I is written directly to the student and includes step-by-step explanations with plenty of practice problems rising in difficulty throughout the assignment. This text is the best "teaching" textbook in written form that we've found after looking at all of the currently available options for Algebra I. If you like the textbook approach, and enjoy the benefit of excellent examples worked for your student (and explained) this text is one of the best. This classic text has been used for honors-level classes or for anyone needing solid step- by-step instruction taken to the next level.
Math Without Borders DVD lessons are also available that teach each lesson in the text. These DVDs can be purchased as part of your math package through Heart of Dakota. We recommend beginning without the DVDs (and then seeing if you need them later).
General pacing suggestions for Foerster’s Algebra I include doing a section each day (odd numbered problems only) and spending 2-3 days completing all of the problems in the story problem style exercises at the end of each chapter. If you spend 2 days on the story problem style exercises at the end of the chapter, then you can take one day to complete the “Chapter Review and Test.” However, if you spend 3 days on the story problem exercises at the end of the chapter, then you will instead need to do the “Chapter Review and Test” on your free 5th day in order to complete the text by the end of the school year.
The text includes answers to the odd numbered problems in its Appendix. A fully worked solutions manual for all problems is available for purchase through Heart of Dakota, but only if you have also purchased the Student Text from us as well or have purchased a Heart of Dakota guide to use in teaching your students. This is due to the Publisher's regulations for proving that Solutions Manuals are purchased for homeschool use by homeschool families.
Students who are going into 8th or 9th grade and have come up through Heart of Dakota's recommended math successfully through Singapore 6A/6B should be able to transition into Foerster's Algebra I well. The first two chapters of Foerster’s Algebra I include some Pre-Algebra. For those families who have a younger student, have a student who has struggled with math, or have a student who has taken a different math path, you will want to be sure to have had the equivalent of Pre-Algebra prior to entering Foerster's Algebra I.
Table of Contents (Foerster’s Algebra I):
Chapter 1 Expressions and Equations
Chapter 2 Operations with Negative Numbers Chapter 3 Distributing: Axioms and Other Properties Chapter 4 Harder Equations
Chapter 5 Some Operations with Polynomials and Radicals Chapter 6 Quadratic Equations
Chapter 7 Expressions and Equations Containing Two Variables Chapter 8 Linear Functions, Scattered Data, and Probability Chapter 9 Properties of Exponents
Chapter 10 More Operations with Polynomials Chapter 11 Rational Algebraic Expressions Chapter 12 Radical Algebraic Expressions Chapter 13 Inequalities
Chapter 14 Functions and Advanced Topics

We enjoyed Foerster's Algebra 1, and we are currently using Foerster's Algebra 2. It is going well! HTH!

In Christ,
Julie
Enjoyed LHTH to USII
Currently using USI
Wife to Rich for 28 years
Mother to 3 sons, ages 23, 20, and 16
Sister to Carrie

juliegmom

Post by juliegmom » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:52 pm

What would you recommend for pre-algebra for a student who has taken a different path? We've been using Horizons.

mamanlait

Post by mamanlait » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:58 am

We are using Foerster's right now and it is a very well written text where the lessons are extremely well-explained. There is ample review for most students. My daughter actually needs a bit slower pace with the text and so we do odds one day and evens the next. We will take 1.5 years to complete the text but I know that she'll have an incredible foundation of Algebra. We are on Chapter 5 now. I have done so much research with Algebra texts because I simply felt uncertain about what to use. She is a good student but not a gifted math student; yet, I wanted a strong math course for her. Although Videotext was a great program, we were not successful with it after using it for grade 8. For some reason, she just didn't resonate with it and did not retain it. We used the first 2 modules so I gave it a good college try! I liked it. She struggled. Teaching Textbooks was my next trial because I thought she needed more of a spiral review. However, the word problems just weren't explained well enough for MY liking. They were taught in a very formulaic way and they didn't carry over for her. Also, after using Singapore, she was frustrated with the constant review and felt like she was going at a snails' pace. I think it's solid, but compared to what we are using now (Foerster's) there is just no comparison in the helpfulness of the teaching. There is true teaching, not some formulaic way to figure a problem out.

In terms of Pre-Algebra: we used MUS Pre-Algebra after Singapore 6b for 7th grade. It seemed like a gentle, hands-on, CM type program. I won't recommend that to you. I love math and it had ME confused. Unless you've come up through MUS, I think it just isn't a good fit for most. Have you considered using Horizons Pre-Algebra text (since you are all ready using that)? Next time, I will use either Dolciani Pre-Algebra or the Master's Book one that HOD now recommends (but has not been published, yet). I think even Saxon 8/7 might be a good in-between program to shore up mathematics and testing-type problems (like media/mean/mode and statistics).

I know everyone has a different experience with math and it is highly personal. I imagine that's why so few have responded. You won't be disappointed with Foersters unless your child struggles in math or has retention difficulties. I think it is fairly easy, at least for Algebra 1, to stretch it out or add review if necessary. :D I hope I helped you think through your math questions in some way. I know that I've lost sleep over this one decision in the past!
Currently:
dd 16 AH1 -bits & pieces (previously used Bigger, Preparing, CtC, RtR, Rev, MMtM, WG, WH)
dd 12 REV (previously used LHTH, LHfHG, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CtC, & RtR)