written narr in Preparing

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Gwenny

written narr in Preparing

Post by Gwenny » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:59 am

Yesterday was written narration day in Preparing with my guy that is a great oral narrator but struggles with writing things down. It had already been a full day of writing and he was pretty exhausted from it. It was unit 4 where she begins having them write a sentence after just a couple of questions and really working them through it. I was writing down his sentences. Typically, I write them for him and then he copies them into his book. I had planned on not making him copy them into the book this time but I hadn't mentioned that to him. He was very halting in his answers, seemed like he wasn't really thinking and off in space. He was hesitant to say anything. Finally he said, "I could give a much narration if the sentences weren't going to be so long to have to write." I told him that he didn't have to copy them today and the final sentences were much better!

That is what happens in English and vocabulary when he has to make his own sentence. He thinks so hard to make one that is as short as possible when they could be much more creative.

So, my question is: what should I do about the written narrations. Is it better to have him write them and they be short choppy sentences without much detail? I know that what Carrie and Julie do in these cases is to see what the goal is for the particular activity. So, what would that be here? :) Same with English and vocabulary, should I just let him make nothing sentences to have him actually writing it himself? That is what I have been doing, but when I ask him what his sentence would be if he didn't have to write it, it's always a very creative sentence.

Thanks!!
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

annaz

Re: written narr in Preparing

Post by annaz » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:38 am

What about having him write his short choppy sentences, then going back through and adding more descriptors? Doing it in two steps instead of thinking of it as a whole? Perhaps ask him questions to get him to add descriptors. What kind was it, how many were there, basic questions to show he can add those. Same with adverbs.
Married 1994
One DD 6/2000
One DH :)
One cat
One dog
Three horses :shock:

Rice

Post by Rice » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:47 pm

Another option: Have him narrate in a shorter way than he would for an oral narration but avoiding the extreme restrictions of what he feels like writing, then having him copy a certain amount (say 2 or 3 lines, or whatever is appropriate based on the size of the lines, size of his writing, etc.) and tell him that you will complete the writing of the remainder of the narration.

I believe one of the goals is to be able to do a summary narration (ie shorter, rather than longer) but the truth of it is that the physical act of writing will inhibit the actual narrating of some students (especially boys and those with physical limitations, dysgraphia, etc.).

Having him write what is reasonable but not making that limit his narration, is a happy medium, IMO. You can gradually increase the amount you expect as he gets more practice in both summarizing well and in actual writing throughout the year, with the goal of him doing it all by himself by the end of the guide.

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

raindrops

Post by raindrops » Sun Oct 25, 2015 2:32 pm

That makes sense to me, Rice.

I have a boy in Preparing as well. Heh. Writing isn't a favorite thing but I can see much improvement in attitude as he grows. I remember freak outs at having to write one word in LHFHG. haha. So much better now, at least.
9 yr old boy in Preparing
6 yr old girl loving all things LHFHG

mrsrandolph

Post by mrsrandolph » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:54 pm

I wonder how he'd do if he could type his narrations?

Another thing I did with my learning disabled child for written narrations is to help him make an outline of main points as I read. (I wrote the outline) He then uses this outline when typing his written narration.
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:12 am

Is it the physical act of writing or is transferring the thinking to writing that is making him stumble. If he is struggling to write down his thoughts, then I would personally write down his written narration and have him copy it. If is because he hates to write, then I would work on typing. I am not sure at which point he would be able to start taking over writing it down on his own but if he can't do it, then I work with him for now and help him as much as I could.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

Gwenny

Post by Gwenny » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:24 am

Definitely the physical act of writing it. He doesn't want to have to copy long lines. He is getting faster with writing, and neater, but it's still an arduous process from him. He definitely doesn't have any trouble getting his thoughts.
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:50 am

I agree with others. I would consider looking into typing then. I do think copying things is a good skill to have. But I also think that as kids get higher into their levels, they have to write about more and more stuff. I would have him keep on copying things in print but look to moving him to do more of his free writing by typing it. How does that sound?
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM