? about some of the DITHR choices

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Gwenny

? about some of the DITHR choices

Post by Gwenny » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:23 am

I'm confused about a couple of the choices for DITHR in the book packs. Wondering if anyone knows the answer to this. I'm trying to pick the next few books for my girls. I need a 4/5 book and a 6/7 book. For 4/5 nonfiction, it is Naya Nuki. I have had that books for years and one of my older daughters LOVED that book and read it many times. But, it says it's a fiction book. Also, I was going to pick Caddie Woodlawn's Family for 6/7 biography. That is fiction also, and I would think would come under historical fiction, or probably realistic fiction. I guess it can be called Biography because it is about real people? I guess I hadn't really thought much about this before. :)
Nancy
Dd29 married (w/2 sons 1/2/14, 5/24/16), ds27, dd25 married (w/dd born 8/9/16), dd25, dd22
Dd 19 HS in special ed
Dd14 RevtoRev
Ds12 RevtoRev
Ds 9 Preparing
Dd 5 LHFHG

Rice

Re: ? about some of the DITHR choices

Post by Rice » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:59 am

I don't know anything about the two books you're questioning - I haven't read them. But, I do know that many books can fall under multiple genres. Ben and Me (a story about Benjamin Franklin narrated by a mouse) is listed as biography but could easily fit under historical fiction, too, for example. The place Carrie has chosen to use them is not the only place you can use them and DITHOR is extremely flexible and allows for the use of any book, so don't feel like you can't move the choices to different genres or pick different books entirely, if you want to.

That said, especially your first year with HOD I strongly suggest using a Book Pack. Starting 4 in HOD, 3 in DITHOR last year I made the financial choice not to purchase one for each child and in picking my own books I made some poor choices, resulting in more work for my son than was fair to expect of him (the book I chose he was capable of reading but was really more than I should have expected over 15 days). It's so nice to have them all chosen and ready when you need them and it gives you an idea of what Carrie intends for them to do at that level.

Hopefully someone can chime in with more specifics of the books you were asking about. . .
Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

Hope

Post by Hope » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:05 am

Carrie has Naya Nuki listed as a non-fiction book for her 4/5 Girl pack. I think it would be just fine for your non-fiction 4/5 choice. My son has loved that book as well and has read it multiple times. I haven't read it, but from what he has ever told me I have, like Carrie, considered it be non-fiction. Here is the link:

http://www.heartofdakota.com/DITHOR45-girls-pack.php

Carrie has Caddie Woodlawn's Family listed as a Biography for her 5/6 Girl Interest Book pack with a 6.1 reading level. We read this lovely book as a family read aloud last year. It continues the story of Caddie Woodlawn. It was written by her granddaughter. Like Carrie, I also would consider it to be a Biography. I would think it would be just fine for the 6/7 Biography that you need. Here is the link:

http://www.heartofdakota.com/DITHOR56-girls-pack.php

I have the DITHOR TM, and I am planning on starting it in the next month or two. Like Rice suggested, I am planning on buying Carrie's book packs. After eclectic, and book basket with another company, I am so glad that she has all of the books organized in one place! :D

Nealewill

Post by Nealewill » Fri Oct 23, 2015 11:40 am

I agree with Hope - I am pretty sure it is based on a real life person. I googled it a few times and it looks like it is no fiction. Naya-Nuki was friends with Sacajawea. I pretty sure it is based on a true story.

And yes, I consider Caddie Woodlawn to be a biography because it is about a real person. It seems like it is similar to the Little House on the Prairie series. They are based on real people and real events.

I think both are find to use for biography.
Daneale

DD 13 WG
DS 12 R2R
DD 10 R2R

Enjoyed DITHOR, Little Hearts, Beyond, Bigger, Preparing, CTC, R2R, RevtoRev, MtMM

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Fri Oct 23, 2015 2:53 pm

See, she puts Little House in Historical Fiction because it is fictionalized, even though it is written by one of the characters, I guess it has been fictionalized that not all of the characters or events are completely true, just based on true stories and real people. I would trust Carrie's categories on it though. I haven't read Caddie Woodlawn yet but my daughter is doing Naya Nuki right now and it is a true story, told as a true story.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven