Geometry: A Guided Inquiry - started it and have ?'s

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Tabitha

Geometry: A Guided Inquiry - started it and have ?'s

Post by Tabitha » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:31 pm

I need some guidance with this program so I can make sure dd is doing things correctly. We are finishing up Chapter 1. We. :) This program is different that what dd is use to, and going back and forth between the book, computer, and Geogebra is a bit irksome for my dd. I know we just need to get use to it, and as we/she moves on things will work out. After the central section, I did walk her through a couple things. We're reading the problems, discussing anything that isn't fully understood, I remind her of the central problem where she learned the concept, and then she works the problems solo. She needed reminders more when resuming the work the next day type of thing. She'll learn to refresh herself soon enough. But for this first chapter, especially, I wanted to make sure I knew how it all worked. I can see I will be needed for a time, but I can also see that she should be able to go solo once we find our footing.

Right now Chap. 1 seems to be going fine. My question comes in that when we look at the Geogebra demo/solution for the project problems (currently), the opening solution is not shown in the same layout as what is in the text. Is it suppose to be this way? Dd and I are trying to see if she did the work right, and when we open the demo to see the 'solution' we see an item graphed that is not the item in the book. Are we to manipulate that item to make it like the book and then see what solution it gives? I feel like each solution needs a little bit more explaining due to this. We're expecting to open up each solution and seeing the same picture set up as the book to be able to compare the accuracy of her work to it...so it's throwing us off a bit. Is her answer right? Wrong? By that opening solution we can't tell. We did use Geogebra some for the central section, but not for everything. Dd didn't need it for much.

I hope this makes sense. I get lost a bit myself as I go to the solutions file looking for the problem number and the number of the demos on the flash drive aren't the same and the problem numbers in the book. I guess reading through the whole title helps, but when you are pairing number to number it can leave you a bit stumped. This is probably just something else to get use to.

When we downloaded our flash drive there were 3 file errors. I need to try downloaded it again, and have my computer scan it for bugs first (we didn't do that before as we didn't think we needed to). If those errors pop up again, I'll contact MWB and see if we can get the files from them. As of now, there is no errata on their website for these files.

Anyway, outside of this above and getting use to the back and forth of it all, this Chapter went really well. On the second day of working the central section, dd even said the 'f' word about her math - FUN! :lol: She had never called math fun. Her acronym for math is Mental Abuse To Humans. So, this is a huge leap. Now just to make sure we're not doing everything all wrong when it feels like it's going well.

Thank you!
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.
14 yo dd - finishing RTR & TT7, Piano, Animal Shelter Volunteer.
11 yo dd - CTC, finishing up TT5, Piano.

Carrie
Site Admin

Re: Geometry: A Guided Inquiry - started it and have ?'s

Post by Carrie » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:27 am

Tabitha,

I only have a moment, so probably won't get all of your questions answered, but I'll share a couple of things that really helped us when we used this program last year with our son. First, I printed the solutions from each chapter from the flash drive, three-hole punched the pages, and placed them in a 3-ring binder for both my son and I to refer to as we went. This was a huge time saver and really cut down on the need to keep going back to the computer files. :D

Next, my son always watched the chapter introductions on the flash drive, and then if time allowed ( and there were extra demos) we watched the geogebra demos. These are different than the book and there are projects that go along with some of them. These are projects created by Math Without Borders and are additional to the book. We looked at those projects as optional. Next, my son only watched the video solutions for the story problem type sets if he was unsure of the answer after first checking the solutions manual that we had printed. This also cut down on the amount of time we had to go back and forth between the flash drive and text. :D

My son really enjoyed this trip through Geometry. As time passed, he was able to do almost all of it on his own. The text is well written and interesting! :D We pray you enjoy it as well.

Blessings,
Carrie

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:42 am

Thank you, Carrie.

We did watch the chapter intro, and I printed out the answers as well.

Am I understanding right that the Geogebra demos for the project problems are different than the project problems in the book? I was initially thinking they were the same. So Math Without Borders has the pdf answer/solutions for the book problems, but Geogebra demos a different but similar problem. That helps.

I may need to reload the flash drive. I had 3 file errors with it. The only videos I see are for the chapter intros. I need to go look through everything again. I may just be overlooking what is right in front of me. ;-) We actually got hit with a computer virus right after my post. Our computer was in the process of being hacked. Windows froze us out and I spent hours on the phone with a tech to recover/restore everything. All of Geogebra seems to be there, but I need to double check....or delete it, and reload it with a scan this time.

Thank you for your help.
17 yo dd - finishing WH, Geometry, German, Music, Media Art - filmaking, stop animation, etc.

Tabitha

Post by Tabitha » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:04 pm

Ahhh, I think I see it now. My computer just updated, and I now see different symbols than I did before by the files. Well, one symbol has changed and it is the one for videos. I know I looked at this heading before, but it didn't start up as a video when I opened it. Now it does.

I am anxious to look back over everything with dd this evening.

Thank you again for your help, Carrie.