"I'm Bored"

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
mrsrandolph

"I'm Bored"

Post by mrsrandolph » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:39 pm

My son, 12 is in CTC. We all finish school by 2:00 each day. He gets depressed easily, especially when he has "down time". He is constantly saying he "doesn't have anything to do". He practices piano and percussion a lot, but that only takes up so much time. He likes to read, but only if he finds a young adult series that really enthralls him.

I am looking for suggestions of things that he can "do" that don't seem punitive. Thoughts?
Shannon Randolph LOVING HOD & Running 4 Guides & DITHOR
Mommy to 4 Precious Blessings
Cassie (15- World Geography),
Will (14- Rev2Rev,
Ellie (12- Res2Ref), and
Jack (10- CTC)

Rice

Re: "I'm Bored"

Post by Rice » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:41 pm

Is he doing the Extensions from CTC?
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

rodandmegs

Post by rodandmegs » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:02 am

I am not sure what you think is punitive, but I will share the things my 10 year old son does to curb his boredom. He is though with school by 12:00 most days!

He collects baseball cards (older ones), and spends lots of time pouring through his baseball card value book to see how much they are worth.

He also collects coins, and has started a stamp collection. He checks books out from the library on these topics.

When we go to the library, he finds books on a certain topic that interests him. For example, one week it was drawing comics. He checked out several books on how to draw comics, and has continued drawing his own comic books!

He enjoys Legos, and builds quite a bit.

He rides his bike several hours a day.

We play card games, like Uno and Hearts. He also got a book on card tricks, and also one on coin tricks, and practices those alot! He has a magic set, and put on a magic show for us the other night.

He also found some old wire, stripped the plastic off, and was creating things with the copper he found inside.

I suggest asking your son to pick a few things that interest him, or you could even pick for him if he isn't willing, and visit the library. Once he reads up on the subject, he may find a hobby that will keep him busy in the afternoons. My son told me he was bored a few months ago, and I told him there was no reason he should be bored when there is a library full of books and a world full of hobbies, and ideas, and fun!
Mikaela - 9th - Bob Jones University DVDs
Eli - 7th - Bob Jones University DVDs
Mercie - 3rd - Bigger Hearts for His Glory
Silas - 1st - Little Hearts for His Glory
Titus - preK Little Hands to Heaven

http://Www.myfullhandsandheart.blogspot.com

chillin'inandover

Post by chillin'inandover » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:54 am

My kids like to go to the library to get nonfiction books. These books are how to make or how to do things-gooey concoctions, knitting, painting, experiments, magic tricks, drawing, detectives, origami, scientist, rock collections, etc. Sometimes they make or do what is in the books and sometimes they just look at the cool directions and pictures. Books are inspiring.
My son has a chemistry kit that he uses. He writes scientific observations in his Scientific Common Place Book.
I have not heard, "I am bored" because they know better. That is a cue that it's time to be "punitive" and help mom clean or something. I have a child who has depressive tendencies, so I get the difference between I am bored, sad, lonely, etc. Punitive is more like therapeutic. Cleaning helps me and it helps them. There are times to clean and times to find a hobby.
Our doctor says the best medicine for depression and boredom is exercise and fresh air. Sometimes just getting outside is all they can do. Some days we just sit on our chairs on the deck. It may be -25°. Those days are brief episodes of fresh air. Other days a walk around the neighborhood is what we all need.
It is hard to motivate those who are "melancholy", and I have found that it is the Lord they need. It is as if the Lord misses them, and therefore calls them.
Praying you find the answers you are seeking.
Tammy
Wife of 32 years
Mom to 4
DD 29 Technical Manager FA, Playwright, Producer, Lighting Designer
DD 28 Master in TESL, Lead ELL teacher 3rd grade
DD 19 AAS welding
DD 16 , WH
Home Educator since 2000 HOD LHTH-US2

MomtoJGJE

Post by MomtoJGJE » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:15 pm

Generally if my kids come down and tell me they are bored they get chores or exercises to do. I don't consider that punitive because it's not a punishment.

Depending on my mood I'll give them more fun types of things, like relay races or obstacle courses (using the house and yard)

I agree that getting outside really helps.

Other than that I don't generally tell my kids things to do. They've learned that coming to me and telling me they are bored gives them chores or exercises, so they only tell me when they actually want me to tell them something like that ;)

daybreaking

Post by daybreaking » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:48 pm

My son just turned 13. We have the opposite problem ... he never feels there are enough hours in the day to do the things he wants to do. :)

His interests are too many to list, but just to give you some suggestions, he enjoys music-related activities, science kits, erector or other construction sets, Playmobil, Legos, researching topics of interest, brain teaser books, cooking, writing stories, reading, playing in the backyard, etc.

If your son frequently complains about being bored, I would recommend having a tighter schedule where he has less freetime. I would also remove most screentime, as research has shown the more screentime children have, the more difficulty they have entertaining themselves. When we packed up our TV and put passwords on our computers, I was amazed at the creativity my children started developing. It's as if screentime dulls the brain, making it lazy. :)

I would also recommend giving your son more chores around the house to keep him productively occupied and feeling like a contributing member of your family, as well as to give him physical activity which will help with the depression. Each family is different, but for us it has worked well for my son to have a few hours of chores spread throughout the day. Lastly, I agree with the other poster about having him do the extensions if he is not already, as they would productively occupy him in a positive way.

Wife to one amazing husband and mother to two precious blessings from above:
ds21 & dd16