BJU writing and grammar...thoughts??

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Natreez

BJU writing and grammar...thoughts??

Post by Natreez » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:43 pm

Curriculum junkie that I am, I purchased R&S Beginning Wisely and BJU Writing & Grammar 3 at a local used homeschool bookfair. Now I'm trying to determine which to use or if I should purchase the Preparing to Build that comes with the Bigger program we are going to be doing. I would love to hear any thoughts from anyone who have used either of these. We have done very little in grammar...however what we did use last year didn't offer enough review. Thanks for your help.

Natreez
Wife to the man of my dreams and mom to 14yr old ds going into public high school and 8yr ds doing BIGGER in the fall :-D

water2wine

Re: BJU writing and grammar...thoughts??

Post by water2wine » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:30 pm

I think they are both good programs. R&S is more advanced and moves faster in the years to come. I looked at BJU long and hard. There was a lot that I liked about it but in the end we went with R&S. It was a good choice for us but I do believe BJU is a good program. Sorry not much help but I think it is a preference thing. They are both good. :D
All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:13
~Six lovies from God~4 by blessing of adoption
-MTMM (HS), Rev to Rev, CTC, DITHR
We LOVED LHFHG/Beyond/Bigger/Preparing/CTC/RTR/Rev to Rev (HS)

momto2grls

Post by momto2grls » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:17 pm

We are using BJU English 2 this year and have just completed the 1st 6wks. I find BJU to be very thorough and dd loves it. I like how the chapters alternate between grammar and writing. We are using the BJU workbook along with the CLP TM (which is basically just an answer key). We do not have the BJU TM.
Proud mom of 2 girls :
dd - 7yrs Bigger Hearts
dd - 3yrs Little Hands

Dixie

Post by Dixie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:18 pm

I have used both English programs. We are currently using R & S and plan to continue using it. I have found that my boys have a better understanding of grammar and are retaining it with the usage of R & S versus the usage of BJU. In fact, my one son just switched from BJU to R & S this past school year about two-thirds of the way into the year because he was struggling to retain the grammar info using BJU. He is much improved after working through about half of the R & S book. I love the built-in oral drill. What really prompted me to switch him this past year was the fact that my second son was using R & S and was doing a much better job retaining and understanding it.
Dixie
Mom to Five: 3 boys and 2 girls

Natreez

Post by Natreez » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:45 pm

That is exactly the same concern I have for my son, he seems to need lots of review. Looks like it may be R&S now since he's only had very basic grammar lessons what do you ladies think...go with the R&S 3 or should I save that for next year and order the R&S 2 for this year? He is going to be in third grade but as I explained has done only some very basic formal grammar. We focused mostly on phonics and spelling however we did do some grammar as well. We'll be doing Bigger.

Thanks for all your help!
Natreez
Wife to the man of my dreams and mom to 14yr old ds going into public high school and 8yr ds doing BIGGER in the fall :-D

Dixie

Post by Dixie » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:38 am

I don't know what to suggest as where to place your boy in R & S English, but here is link to where you can see samples of each grade of
R & S English. http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/list/Ro ... urriculum/ I hope this is of some help to you.
Dixie
Mom to Five: 3 boys and 2 girls

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:28 pm

Natreez wrote:That is exactly the same concern I have for my son, he seems to need lots of review. Looks like it may be R&S now since he's only had very basic grammar lessons what do you ladies think...go with the R&S 3 or should I save that for next year and order the R&S 2 for this year? He is going to be in third grade but as I explained has done only some very basic formal grammar. We focused mostly on phonics and spelling however we did do some grammar as well. We'll be doing Bigger.

Thanks for all your help!
Natreez
My son is in the same place as yours, and I decided to go with R&S 2. (Now we're just getting ready to start it, so I have yet to see if that was the best pick. :wink: ) I thought that he probably could do level 3...but we're going to take it easy. I've been kind a pusher with him, and he catches on easily, but I decided to back off and enjoy school this year. I'm so looking forward to all we're going to learn and the discussions we'll get to have!

:D Kathleen
Homeschooling mom to 6:
Grant - 19 Kansas State University
Allison - 15 World Geography
Garret - 13 Res2Ref
Asa - 8 Bigger
Quinn - 7 Bigger

Halle - 4 LHTH

Carrie
Site Admin

Post by Carrie » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:36 pm

Natreez,

We used one year of Bob Jones English, and while it is thorough, we found my son wasn't retaining well with the workbook approach. It also took quite a bit of time for me to check his lessons and to go through any errors with him each day. The writing lessons were broken up into manageable pieces, but my creative son felt very flattened by their requirements. It also took quite a bit of help from me to guide the writing process. So, near the end of that year, we switched to Rod and Staff.

We have had good success with retention with Rod and Staff. Both my older sons no longer balk at their grammar lessons. We are able to do much of it orally or on a white board, which shortens the lessons considerably. The carry-over from lesson to lesson is excellent. I finally feel like the time I am investing in teaching grammar is worthwhile and painless. So, while I am very biased, I would encourage you to give Rod and Staff a try.

I would use the Rod and Staff English 2 for a third grader. We did this with my second son and found it laid a very solid foundation in grammar. Rod and Staff is very advanced in its scope and sequence! :wink:

Blessings,
Carrie

Natreez

Post by Natreez » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:13 pm

Thanks everyone for your help. I've decided my son really does need the repetition and I've heard so many positive things about Rod & Staff so we are going to just stick with Carrie's recommendations. Also just to be sure I don't leave any loop holes, I've decided to just go ahead and order Rod and Staff 2 instead of using the Rod & Staff 3 books that I already have. (Hey....at least I've got a head start on next year!) :lol:

Thanks again for everyone's help with this decision.

Natreez
8yr ds -Bigger Buddy in the fall!!
14yr ds- public high school in the fall