Preparing help

This is where new posts begin. All questions or discussions about any of Heart of Dakota's curriculums start here. If you wish to share a one-time post about your family's experience with our curriculum, you may post under the specific curriculum title (found beneath this "Main Board" heading).
Johnhazle

Preparing help

Post by Johnhazle » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:13 pm

Okay I am a little confused I had bought in my curriculum from a lady for my 8 year old son he did great in bigger so I was not hesitant for Preparing. However, I guess I didn't realize all that I had bought from her and I am a little confused. With everything I bought from her it also includes the deluxe package and the extension package do I do all of that with him although he's reading easily at a high middle school level and his comprehension is good. Does he read some of those on his own or do i read them all to him? Is it possible to use some of those books for his DITHOR? We also have our reading program, this just seems like a lot of reading... am I not getting this right?

chillin'inandover

Re: Preparing help

Post by chillin'inandover » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:31 am

http://www.heartofdakota.com/preparing- ... ckages.php

The teacher reads all the books from the economy package and the basic package.
The child reads the economy science add on, DITHOR, and the Deluxe package.

The extension package is for older readers. This means their age rather than reading level.

I am going through Preparing for the second time with my dd 9 yo in 4th grade.
Tammy
Wife of 32 years
Mom to 4
DD 29 Technical Manager FA, Playwright, Producer, Lighting Designer
DD 28 Master in TESL, Lead ELL teacher 3rd grade
DD 19 AAS welding
DD 16 , WH
Home Educator since 2000 HOD LHTH-US2

Rice

Post by Rice » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:52 am

I would not have a 9yo in Preparing doing the Extensions. My 13yo is doing them (he has some Executive Functioning issues [organization, transitions, filtering out distractions, etc. are challenges] so is in a lower guide than the average 13yo).

That said, they are wonderful books and they you could be give them to him (in a scheduled way or not) as extra reading, or saved to use as DITHOR books over the coming years.

Blessings,
Rice

DS 21 - GRAD '20: after WG
DD 19 - GRAD '21: after WH
DS 17 - GRAD '22; did CTC-WH + 2yrs non-HOD (🇨🇦)
DS 15 not using a guide this year (DONE: LHFHG-MTMM)
DS 13 MTMM (DONE: Prep-Rev2Rev)
DS 11 +
DD 9 CTC (DONE: Prep)
6yo DS phonics

MelInKansas

Post by MelInKansas » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:47 pm

I agree. A 9 year old should not need to do the extensions. They can be extra read-alouds if you have time and want to do them, but really, I would just stick with the regular stuff. The Deluxe package you would want to use, as mentioned those are books for the child to read.
Melissa
"The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases
His mercies never come to an end"

DD12 - Rev to Rev + DITHOR 6/7/8
DD10 - CTC + DITHOR 2/3
DD7 - Bigger + ERs
DS5 - LHFHG
DD2 - ABC123
2 babies in heaven